7mm Rem Mag on the decline?

Hello, I just got my first magnum, a 7mm Rem Mag Savage 110. It's used, and I bought it for the action. If I can shoot it as is for awhile, that's just a plus.

I'm not seeing as many factory ammo options as I used to, or at least as I seem to remember. There are a lot of "Unavailable, Limited Run" and "Unavailable, No Backorder" on websites. Do you think this is because demand is so high and they can't keep things in stock, or because new cartridges (PRC, 28 Nosler, etc) are starting to replace it? If it matters, I'm looking for ammo in the 150-162 range for my 1:9.5" factory barrel.
I have 4 7mm I still thing for recoil and all around caliber 7mm is the best

Thank you for your feedback. I was leaning towards high demand, but thought it was worth asking. I've never been one to like big magums because I don't like a lot of recoil. I used to have a 30-06 with a hard butt plate that I shot 180 grains out of. I figure shooting 160s with a recoil pad will be about the same recoil (maybe a little less?) but with a lot better ballistics. And because it means I got to get a new gun.

I am a 7mag fan, but have you considered the .280 Remington? It utilizes the .30-06 case, and fires a 7mm bullet. You can hunt long range with it, and it doesn't have the recoil of the 7mag. They say if you don't have a .270, or a .30-06 to buy a .280. that is what I did! I rebarreled my Ruger M77 black synthetic stock 22 inch barrel with a stainless heavy Sporter 25 inch straight fluted Shaw barrel, and I love mine! I know most would have opted for the ai on the rebarrel, bit I have a 7mag, and I love my .280 Remington too!

Hello, I just got my first magnum, a 7mm Rem Mag Savage 110. It's used, and I bought it for the action. If I can shoot it as is for awhile, that's just a plus.

I'm not seeing as many factory ammo options as I used to, or at least as I seem to remember. There are a lot of "Unavailable, Limited Run" and "Unavailable, No Backorder" on websites. Do you think this is because demand is so high and they can't keep things in stock, or because new cartridges (PRC, 28 Nosler, etc) are starting to replace it? If it matters, I'm looking for ammo in the 150-162 range for my 1:9.5" factory barrel.
Here is a website that I've used to find ammo with: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/7mmremmag/

I believe that all ammos wane after a while. Some much sooner than others with some even eventually fading away. Though I too have noticed what you have stated I personally believe that the seven mm mag will be around for many more years.

I am a 7mag fan, but have you considered the .280 Remington? It utilizes the .30-06 case, and fires a 7mm bullet. You can hunt long range with it, and it doesn't have the recoil of the 7mag. They say if you don't have a .270, or a .30-06 to buy a .280. that is what I did! I rebarreled my Ruger M77 black synthetic stock 22 inch barrel with a stainless heavy Sporter 25 inch straight fluted Shaw barrel, and I love mine! I know most would have opted for the ai on the rebarrel, bit I have a 7mag, and I love my .280 Remington too!
Agree with you on the .280. It is a great cartridge and while it has fallen further back into the shadows, at least it is still available.

Well, I will be the one to dissent from popular opinion here. The 7M RM was the first rifle I ever bought, the second, and the fourth and fifth. But I don't have a single one today. Belted cases are not the best design, but even more so, for whatever it is worth, I could never get great velocity from my 7 RMs. Several were quite accurate. I moved to the 300 RUM, then to the bigger 338s (Lapua and RUM) for long range shooting and a 338 WM for general hunting. Now I am back to a 7mm, but not the RM - the 28 Nosler kicks its butt. Sure, barrel life is low, but the 28N isn't a round you practice shooting offhand at 100 yards.

The 7 RM is not dying. Apparently there were some pressure issuses over 30 years ago and the ammo and the reloading manuals downloaded it substantially. Unfortunately most factory ammo is loaded to energies barely above the 270 Win. To get the most out of the big 7 you really need to handload it and if you want magnum performance and still follow the books you will have to use new powders like RL-26. Take a look at Terminal Balistics Research's website and Nathan's take on the subject.

Thank you for your feedback. I was leaning towards high demand, but thought it was worth asking. I've never been one to like big magums because I don't like a lot of recoil. I used to have a 30-06 with a hard butt plate that I shot 180 grains out of. I figure shooting 160s with a recoil pad will be about the same recoil (maybe a little less?) but with a lot better ballistics. And because it means I got to get a new gun.
Install a good quality muzzle break on it, and you can cut the recoil by 50 to 60 percent. I have breaks on all of my magnums.

It is probably still in the top 10 American based cartridges, based on reloading die sales. There are probably 10 more cartridges next to it in energy and accuracy. But, off the shelf cartridges are everywhere except in these crazy times we're in. People buying boxes of ammo they don't have a rifle for, lol!
I have a 280AI and a 7RM. Just because both are fun to shoot and effective for hunting.

The 7 Rem Mag is 'King' of the 7mm's for good reason! With tough heavier bullets it can easily take any North American game. If you only hunt deer-size game, the .243 Win or the 7mm-08 is great for that, with much less recoil. But the 7 RM can handle it all!

I would argue that the 28 nosler is king of the 7mm's followed by the 7RUM. t's up to 200fps faster shooting same weight projectiles.
I shoot both RM and 28 and the 28 is in a different league IMO.

To the OP. Nothing wrong with the 7RM if you don't mind the belt and can find decent high performance factory loads if you don't want to reload.

I think that the 7mm RemMag is a great cartridge that will around for a very long time; and....it's been around since 1962, and.....I believe the 5th or 6th best selling cartridges in the country. And.....at $70 for 25 pieces of brass and around 700-900 rounds before getting a shot-out barrel, I think the 7mm RemMag is going to be a smart choice for a lot more years. Good luck with whatever your choice is for your next build. I wouldn't rule out the 7mm RemMag for the build instead of one of those 5000 yard elephant killing, anti-tank cartridges that are really being hooped up by the shooting media's industries; unless......of course that really is what you want!!;)😁

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.