7mm rem mag mv

harleybug

I'm curious to hear what kind of velocity u guys are getting with a 7 mag shooting 180 burgers. I've heard guys are getting 3000 witch is what I want to shoot if possable but also want to know if ur getting over pressure issues.

Awesome I'm currently building a rem 700 right now that I was going to chamber for 7mm stw but the brass Is either not in stock or over priced and for the 100 to 200 fps gain it does not look. Like it's worth it so I'm going with 7mm rem mag. Its half the price and 10 times easier to find and the 7 mag is just barely slower but seems to be a lot more efficient for case to powder ratio.

I have shot both. I love my 7mm Rem mag. I only shoot out to 600 yds max and have never had a prob. And no. 200 fps is not worth it to me either.gun)

I think it's definately possible. You may have to use a 28" barrel. I was shooting a 700P in 7RM and I was pushing the 150gn Ballistic Tips to 3240fps with IMR 4350. I had to go 1/2gn above Nosler #6's max load but I did not have pressure signs and it was shooting .2-.3's.
I shot a 350lb Black Bear at 15 steps with this load and it went through both shoulders and he never knew I was there. Very powerful.
JohnnyK.

Try the 180 hybrids...very short bearing surface and at least 26 in barrel with Retumbo you should get there, as long as you throat it long enough to get out to 3.5 OAL.

I'm getting 3098 fps with the 168 gr VLD. I'm going to have to look at my notes at home before I can give you the COAL (measured from the case base to the ogive), but the rest of my setup is in my sig (It's a pretty hot load though). 70 grains was my max load ( where I got flat primers). My barrel has got a pretty long throat, my magazine has plenty of room, and I can really stick the bullet out of the case quite a bit.

harleybug,
Remember! All the suggestions you've gotten so far are what works in THEIR rifles ! You will have to do testing to see what seating depth and velocity YOUR rifle likes And to see if you can even get to 3000 fps. A longer barrel will help . And if you can use a slower powder it can help with throat erosion along with added velocity with the longer barrel. The 180 VLD may not be able to be seated to work through the magazine depending on the size of the mag box. Since it is a Remington there are companies out there that are now making longer magazines and bottom metal that may allow you to be able to get there though. The if you dont want to go that route the 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTERS designed to be loaded to work through a standard mag box and because they are a Hybrid are very easy to tune for. If you need any more information or help please feel free to contact us on this forum string or at [email protected]
Thanks for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I am getting 4" horizontal by 2" verticle groups at 2960fps with 180 hybrids. I use Winchester brass, cci250 primers, and 72gr retumbo. Never worked hotter than this, but when I shoot on the field and ignore my chrony 3025 has made for good entries to my shooter app. Kept shooting high when I entered 2960. Just remember this is in my gun and I worked up from 66gr.

Being a Remington 700 LA, he SHOULD (no guarantees) have no problems seating a 180 into the lands, and still using it as a repeater. But every rifle is different, and every reamer is different. So, you could have a shorter throated reamer, or a longer throated reamer that made your chamber...You won't know until you use an OAL gauge to check your chamber's depth. Or you could make a cast of your chamber...But it's much more easier to buy an OAL gauge setup with modified cases, since you can use it for other rifles/calibers, as well.

Phil,
I have some load development still to do. My chrony is old and not really accurate. I use it to look for es. The barrel is a #5 fluted lilja 3 groove. It's 26.5" long and has about 120 rounds through it now. When I was doing load development before hunting season I routinely used 400 yrds and would clean the barrel after each day of shooting. Each shot had the time to walk 400 yards and back. So not 100% cold barrel, but not warm by any means. A normal session of shooting was a couple hours and 20rnds or less.

Like I said I have some figuring and load development to do. The barrel was new in July and I just needed a load for elk hunting. More development will come this spring.

upacreek,
You going to use the 7mm 180gr TARGET HYBRIDS? We don't really recommend that. With the thicker jacket of the target bullets you will probably get a small wound channel at best and a pencil through and through at worst. Any way, take some loaded "blow off rounds to the range and see how many rounds it takes before the bullet strikes stop rising on the target and begin to cluster. Then do your group testing and see if the vertical goes away. Horizontal is usually wind. Start on the lands and work back in .015 increments to find the seating depth sweet spot using the lowest powder charge listed for your bullet/powder/cartridge combination.Then work the load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get 2 grains below MAXIMUM then drop to 1/10 grain increments. All the while you are checking for accuracy and pressure signs. With that long nose on that bullet you still may not get back to where it will cycle through the factory magazine. There are aftermarket magazines and bottom metal that are longer than stock that may get you to where you can use the magazine again. If all else fails go to the 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER. Its a Hybrid too but with a shorter nose so it can be seated to magazine length and work there. As far as ES and SD. They really are just an INDICATOR of what may work and SD is the one that carries the weight between the two. The target carries the most weight though !! You may find that a load with a great ES and SD isnt as accurate as one with higher numbers . Go to German Salizars website and read the article on ES and SD by Jerry Engleman. The chronograph issue is another can of worms with sun angle, bullet height as it passes over the sensors, distance from rifle so muzzle blast is not affecting the reading ETC. If you can , get or borrow a MAGNETO SPEED chrono that attaches to the barrel and uses the magnetic impulse of the bullet as it passes over to read the muzzle velocity. They work. Especially the new version. If you are really close to ELK season and have a load with another bullet that works now use that for this season and do the load testing for the BERGER bullets after the season so you aren't stressing out before the hunt with load testing and just getting in some good practice before you go. We can get the Berger bullet sorted out later when there is time if you wish. Your choice. If you need more help on this please either respond on this string or contact us at [email protected].
Take care!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.