7mm rem mag mv

Jerry,
Our bullets are designed to penetrate 2-5 inches before the nose starts to "slump" over and fragment shredding the vitals causing tremendous hydro static shock to the animal resulting in a quick, humane
kill.
Take care!& Merry Christmas!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

What causes the bullet to "slump", does it yaw when it hits? I have heard of great success with these bullets, but have also heard of them failing. I just don't see the way they are designed to expand very consistent, there is no guarantee that bullet will have the exact same reaction each time. I mean what if it doesn't slump over and explode like it is intended to do, then it will just pencil through.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Jerry,
The bullet isn't made to "expand" in the normal sense. Its the shrapnel effect and the large wound channel caused by the upset of the bullet as it does its job. There is no guarantee that ANY hunting bullet made by us or other companies will do the same thing every time. It could possibly "pencil" through. So could a hollow point that the tip gets filled with hide. That is why bullet placement is such a critical factor no matter whose bullet you use. Your quote below your name says it all. Merry Christmas to you too Jerry !
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Phil thanks a lot for your interaction here, and your excellent bullet line. I have taken your comments under advisement, but so far the performance of the hybrid one has been good for me.

Thanks for the update on the 195s as well.

I use accubonds for shoulder shots and they gave always performed great, but you don't get the the bang/ flop because it is a controlled expansion bullet. In my experience the berger hybrids have produced bang/flops, I just try to keep the out if the shoulder on a close shot.
The main thing is, I am confident where that berger will go because they are so accurate...and as always shot placement is the main thing with any bullet.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I average 3023 fps with 180 gr Berg VLD and Re22
I average 2970 fps with 162 gr HNDY SST 62.8 gr H4350 [wimpy load]
I average 3356 fps with 150 gr Nos BT and H4350
I average ~ 3400 fps with 140 gr Nos BT and H4350 with several diff rifles
I average 3633 fps with 120 gr Nos BT and H4350

I have killed animals with all of those, but I like the 140 gr Nos Bal Tips the best.
If they stop making them, I will go to the 139 gr Hornady SST.

The Hornady 139 SST is what I had problems with out of my 7mags years ago.... They blew up when they impacted...Especially on game. Luckily it still managed to kill the deer, but after that, I never used them again for hunting. That is just another reason why I don't use anything lighter than a 160gr bullet in 7mm calibers. I even shoot the Berger 168 VLD's in my 7mm-08 Rem.

So I'm using my gun for hunting and target do I need to get a special dreamer for my new barrel to shoot the Berger vlds

harleybug,
Not necessarily. Test with what you have and see. If you don't have enough twist rate in the barrel that's on the rifle now and will be changing the barrel out. Contact Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool & Gauge and see what reamer he recommends to use. OR build a "dummy" round with the Berger bullet you want to use seated in the neck with the end of the boat tail at about mid-point in the shoulder and send it to your gunsmith so he has it when you call him and discuss how you want to ream the throat so you can "chase" the throat as the barrel gets round through it. Please let us know if you need any more help on this.
Merry Christmas!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

So I'm using my gun for hunting and target do I need to get a special dreamer for my new barrel to shoot the Berger vlds

None of my barrels where reamed using specially throated reamers... All of them use standard throating dimensions. So, the answer to that is no, you don't "need" a special reamer to shoot Berger VLD's.

Or you can shoot the hybrids which dont seem to mind jumping. I dont like worrying about where the throat is, and in my rifle these hybrids havent been sensitive to seating depth.Sort of like SMKs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts