7mm Rem Mag Brass Selection

SSTX

I'm having my 1983 Remington 700 Classic fitted with a new Brux barrel for extended range use, and am looking at the inventory of brass I've collected over the years. On hand are over 300 rounds, roughly equal amounts of Remington, Winchester, and Federal.

Most of the Remington brass was a 100rd lot purchased from Midway in 2002, once-fired in the original Remington 7 Mag barrel, 25 remaining unfired. This was my go-to hunting brass when I got the rifle.

The Winchester brass dates from the late '70s to the early '80s, was purchased as bare unloaded components by the rifle's original owner, my Dad. The number of firings vary from 2-4, and it's all been annealed after the 2nd firing. It was all badly tarnished when I got it, but a lot of time in the tumbler and some soaking in Lyman case polish has pretty well restored it. It all appears safe to use, without any cracks or corrosion. Some of it was fired in an older Ruger rifle.

The Federal brass is a mixture of 50rds new, unfired, bare component cases given to me by a friend that re-chambered his rifle to 7 STW, as well as 40rds of once-fired factory loaded ammo fired in his original rifle.

Bottom line is, all the brass appears useable in the new barrel, dedicated to different purposes. I figure the Winchester will be dedicated to general hunting use with the hordes of 154gr Hornady Inter-Locks that Dad collected, with the likely expectation of lasting one or maybe two more firings due to age. Accuracy will not be especially critical at the 200-400 yard ranges I'll use this load at. The question is whether to use the Remington or Federal brass in the dedicated long-range application, with 180gr Bergers. I've mostly used Remington, Lapua, and Lake City (30-06) in my other hunting rifles, and have no experience with Federal. In anyone's experience, is the standard Federal brass to be preferred over Remington, or is it about a wash quality-wise? Sorry for the long read, thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

I would recommend using the Rem Brass because you have the most of it in one lot.

The Winchester brass is a little softer and with the number of firings, it would be iffy.

Size and load the rem brass when you start loading for accuracy and use the other brass for break in of the new barrel.

I have not had good luck with Federal brass being loaded/fired more that 2 or 3 times so I use it sparingly and discard it after the 2nd firing. (Just Me).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Sounds like you have enough of each to screen them. If you want to take the time to measure them you can sort by neck thickness, neck uniformity and concentricity. Takes some of the work out of dialing in an accuracy load and will allow you to cull the ones that are just plain out of whack.

Normally, I would say out of those 3 brands, Winchester, hands-down, but you seem to have a lot more Remington brass than anything. Under the circumstances you have described, I would use the Remington.

BUT, being that you are going with a brand new barrel, that will most likely be cut by a reamer that is bound to be much sharper, and has tighter tolerances than what cut the factory barrel's chamber, and even after full-length resizing, your old brass might not fit in the new chamber (I have encountered this before). I would pickup a couple boxes of new Nosler 7mm brass, and start from scratch.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm Remington Mag Box of 50

You're blueprinting the action, installing a very high-quality aftermarket barrel...Why skimp-out on the brass? In the grand scheme of things, what's an extra $150 for 100 new high-quality cases that will last you a really long time. I have yet to wear-out a piece of Nosler brass under normal circumstances...Some of which has been reloaded many times with very hot loads. Also, Nosler brass is already chamfered, de-burred, checked for concentricity, and weight-sorted at the Nosler factory. I have had excellent results using Nosler brass, and use it for majority of my calibers...It is ready to load right out of the box.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. In the end, MudRunner's comment really struck a cord with me:

"In the grand scheme of things, what's an extra $150 for 100 new high-quality cases that will last you a really long time."

I thought, "you know, he's right!" and followed the handy link to Midway. 100 new Nosler cases and 200 Berger 180gr hunting VLD's on the way. In these uncertain political times, more components is never a bad thing..............:D

Much appreciation to all for helping me focus my thoughts................

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.