7mm Rem Mag/ 180 Bergers

zeeman

Does anyone have info on this setup wrt : OAL loads powders in a custom rifle / Batt action / 26 barrel/ to setup for 400 to 800 hunting and target??? 7mm Remington magnum and 180 Bergers?? Thanks

I loaded some a couple weeks ago, but don't remember the specs...I'll look them up when I get home tonight.

OAL for me was set to magazine length since I use my 7Mag as a hunting rifle, I want it to be a repeater, and not a single-shot.

Your OAL will be different. The sweetspot in every single rifle is different. The VLD's seem to prefer to be as close to, or touching the lands as possible, from my experiences with them. My .308 likes them touching the lands, and so does my 7mmSTW, which are not rifles I hunt with. They really only see bench-duty most of their lives. Occasionally I have taken the STW hunting and been successful....A little too successful on close-range whitetails....It can be quite brutal and devastating on meat-loss with 160gr bullets or larger.

I am trying to save to have my 7Mag rebarreled (heavier contour & 1:9 vs factory sporter barrel & 1:9.5 twist) and buy a different stock for it, but right now I can see it will be quite a while before that can happen, so I'm just gonna keep shooting out the factory barrel for now.

I'm shooting the 180gr hybrid.
My load I settled on is
0.040 off the lands
Nosler cases, neck sized 0.001 under loaded dia
69.5gr Retumbo
Fed 215M

I haven't chronographed it, but the drops indicate I'm getting about 3030fps MV, vertical dispersion is under 0.3moa, horizontal dispersion is less. I can't use my magazine with this load it's way to long. The pdogs don't seem to mind so far.gun)

Zee, I just found my load for the 180's... I used 66gr of H1000 and seated them to magazine length in my Browning A-Bolt II, which is 2.660". I use Federal 215 primes, too.

Hope this helps. Every gun is different, so there's no telling whether your gun will like it or not.

Let me know how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.