180gr Bergers in 7mm rem mag

ColoGuy970

I am new to the long range stuff. I am building a rifle to hunt with. I would like to keep it around 8lbs. I have seen too many big bulls that are out of range, I am solving that problem with this rifle build. I want to be comfortable out to 1k yards in the field. I am building this rifle to shoot the Berger 180s off of a blueprinted PTG action, vortex viper pst gen 2
5-25x50 ffp, and a timney trigger. That is where I am starting. I need to figure out my barrel, 26" bartlein 9:1? I am wondering if going with a 24" barrel is an option.

26" preferably, 24" will work . Since you're buying a new barrel, I would go with a 1/8 twist handle any bullet available.

The best advice I can give a new long range shooter is practice, practice and then practice some more. Regardless of the rifle in your hands , those big bulls are still out of range until you build the experience and confidence to take a long shot ethically.

1k is a tall order. Elk bullets at that kind of range start with a 3. This is my opinion and others will differ, but at that range velocities are getting slow and bullets that are bigger around work better. Since you are building new it might be worth looking at 300wm or 30 Nosler.

My .02

Steve

Since ur new to long range and adding to earlier suggestions. Get a heavy barrel practice rifle. 6.5, 308, whatever and practice with it. When ur hitting steel at 1k with it, you will know what kind of magnum you want to take game with at that range.
IMO I also think 8lbs is light for a lr rig. Ur gonna have a lot of different opinions on weight. But my 300wby loaded up weighs 13lbs and I wouldn't mind it to weigh 14.

Last edited:
I understand 8lbs Is light. Maybe unattainable, 10lbs would seem light compared to the walnut I am used to. I hike a lot though... I have hunted big game in CO since I could, I have been shooting my whole life. I have hit an 8" steel holding for .5 mil Windage @ 1k on my third shot. It was my first time shooting long. I dig it, and it is practical when applied to hunting. I don't want to shoot long distances for fun. Sometimes the animals and the conditions require it.

You gotta want to do it for fun if you have any intention of hunting long range. I have been hunting long range for quite a while now. I do not assume to be highly proficient but we have taken our longest at 1280y. I am now satisfied and no longer feel like I need to see how far I can do it. No matter how good you are there things that you can not control. I am comfortable with shots that reach the target in less than 1 sec for game. I will shoot rocks and targets as far as I can make a bullet go.

Not pushing ethics just describing my evolution. I am planning a light weight carry rifle for myself in 280AI and setting it up for 700-800y shots depending on the size of the animal.

Whatever you decide to set up for a rifle the guys here will help you do it right.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you guys are smart. Way better at this than I. I just want to build a great reliable long rifle. Not trying to bend or break any barriers.

Thanks Steve, you guys are smart. Way better at this than I. I just want to build a great reliable long rifle. Not trying to bend or break any barriers.
No worries. Can't bite my tongue sometimes.

I would recommend a 12 lb or more rifle for the kind of range you want to shoot. My long range carry rifle is close to 14lbs dressed and ready.

Steve

Put in the time, it will likely be frustrating at first. Learn from your mistakes and soon the hits will outnumber the misses. I'll bet you'll begin to enjoy the challenge and it will become fun .

I just put together a rifle just like you are talking about but mine is 9lbs scoped and it is about perfect for me but ive only stretched it to 800 so far with it. I went Remington action, McMillan gamescout, and brux #3 cut at 25". Running h1000 with a 180 grain berger at 2940fps. Its a fun gun to play around with although I did just miss a coyote right under his chest last night at 780 yards

I built a 7MAG with Stiller action 26" Hart in a Mcmillan. Nightforce 5.5x 22X 56. It weighs in right @ 10.5 lbs, is well balanced and easy to pack. I have shot Mule deer @ 937 yards, 850 yards, 750yards, and as close as 75 yards. The 180 VLD works awesome! It shoots 3037 with H-1000. Low recoil and hits hard. I have shot rocks out to 1400 yards with it. Havent shot an elk with it yet because I bow hunt them, but wouldnt be afraid to! Shooting long range is more of a passion to me than the actual killing part. The killing part takes lots of practice with any caliber and the 7MAG is a good one!

I built a 10.5# 7RM for my "carry weight" longer range elk rifle. I shoot the 180 Berger Hybrids @ 2996fps.
R700 LA BDL trued
#3 fluted Bartlein 1:8.5" @ 26" + APA Micro Bast brake
Manners EH-2
Timney CE
Seekins alloy 20MOA base and 34mm low rings
S&B PMII 3-20×50 w. H2CMR

Shot my bull this past Sept @ 662 yards. Bull went 50ish yards and piled up. My 14 year old daughter used it on her cow hunt last October and shot a big old cow at 75 yards.

I have stretched it out to 1565 yards on steel and rocks. I would not be afraid to shoot it to 1000+ on elk if the conditions were right. Shot a 2.5" 5 shot group at 806 yards with it.

I just built a "lightweight carry" backup elk rifle this year too. A sub-9# .280AI that pushes a 175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps. Shot a 2.9" 3 shot group @ 926. It is a 1k elk rifle under good conditions too.

Last edited:
I'm new too. At least to long range hunting. I'm in the same boat as you as far as hiking a lot. Public ground here in CO with OTC tags means lots of walking to find elk. That being said I'm taking the plunge into this for fun and to make myself a better shooter.

Most of the time being able to shoot to 1000 yards would not buy me a thing elk hunting since by nature of where I hunt the terrain dictates either a 300 yard shot or a 1500 yard shot which is something I won't be doing. That being said I'm looking to push my rifle and myself to 800 yards this year just in case.

ColoGuy970 are you here in CO?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts