7mm Reg Mag Frustrations

Elk hunter what brass are you using?

barrel length is 26" in bartlein, proof and benchmark blanks using 1-9 or 1-8.5 twist. I use norma as of late but really prefer Remington or Winchester to tell you the truth and the old Winchester was the absolute best in my opinion. I have not tried the newer Bertram stuff but if its like all the rest it will be awesome.

And like i stated before the rifles are built around a standard to which no factory rifle will compare.. so these speeds and loads don't apply to any factory rifle out there!!

H-1000 with 180 hyb, retumbo could not get es to 10 or less, h1000 in single digets,

If it a custom barrel? What is the oal with your length? Is it greater than your box? If so get a whyatts box will give you more play room.

H-1000 like many others have said with the 180s. I'm getting single digit ES, and .5 minutes with an older (mostly) factory BDL. The gun loves them. Nosler Brass, and 215m.

This is sound advise! With a magnum your shooting position and consistency vs accuracy is magnified vs smaller cartridges shooting lighter projectiles. I shot near half the life out of a light 300rum build looking for a really good load. I was shooting from a sitting position at a bench for most of it. Finally flopped down in the dirt with a bipod and rear bag then boom! Same load shooting 3/4 shot 1/4 repeatable. That is where I'm most consistent I've since learned. Others I'm sure are different. May not be the issue but it's something I don't think gets talked about enough
Marksmanship gets overlooked a lot.

Would like some suggestions.

I have a Rem Long Range 700 7mm Rem mag that I have had customized with Kreiger 1:8:25" twist 26" barrel - sendero contour, Manners Stock, Timney Trigger. I'm shooting it with 4x20 Burris XTRII. I can't seem to get better than 1" groups from 100 to 300 yards.

I've tried shooting 180 Berger VLDs with 68.g - 70.6g RETUMBO. I think this gun should be at .5" vs. 1" gun.

I've also tried 175 Hornady ELD-X with Retumbo and that shot even worse.

Nosler Brass, CCI Mag Primers...

Any other suggestions on Powders with the heavier 7mm Rem Mag bullets? Going on an elk hunt this fall in MT.

If you are still having problems PM me. My first load I took to the range was close to 1/2 inch 5 shot group

I have a Rem Long Range 700 7mm Rem mag that I have had customized with Kreiger 1:8:25" twist 26" barrel - sendero contour, Manners Stock, Timney Trigger. I'm shooting it with 4x20 Burris XTRII. I can't seem to get better than 1" groups from 100 to 300 yards.

I've tried shooting 180 Berger VLDs with 68.g - 70.6g RETUMBO. I think this gun should be at .5" vs. 1" gun.

Any other suggestions on Powders with the heavier 7mm Rem Mag bullets? Going on an elk hunt this fall in MT.
Unless I have missed it, I'm surprised that no one had mentioned using Berger's recommendation for testing seating depth on VLD'S. Also, being a hunting rifle, it makes no sense to start your testing "into the lands". Berger recommends to start .010" off the lands for hunting rifles. Load 6 @ .010" off, 6 @ .050" off, 6 @ .090" off, and 6 @ .130" off. It is likely one of those depths will group significantly better than the rest. When you have determined which depth that is, fine tune from there. I recently performed that sequence on a custom barreled hunting rifle and the .130" off was far and away the best group. Next was .010" off. The other 2 we're terrible. I use this same method with competition rifles and VLD'S, only starting at .010" into the lands and then move away .040" at a time. Had one rifle that shot very well .010" into the lands, but even better @.120" off. I'm convinced that the VLD'S are very sensitive to seating depth. I'm also in the camp for doing a ladder test to determine charge weight before seating depth testing. The problem with that sometimes is a rifle that shoots so badly it is impossible to find the nodes. You can verify what I have said about depth testing VLD'S on Berger's website or better yet, purchase their reloading manual. Good luck on your testing!

I built my 2nd savage and couldn't get better than .6MOA with eldx(my fault- tried new load development techniques).

To verify the soundness of the gun, I switched to Nosler accubonds. They are super easy to load imho. With only 12 new brass left, I loaded 4 groups and 3 of the 4 under 1 with the best being in the .3s. The gun was sound

My point, load yourself or shoot some known forgiving factory load to ensure the gun is sound.

Also im just north of Dallas. The Nosler trophy grade 160 accubond shoots one holes in my 7mm. I have dulicpated that load.

Unless I have missed it, I'm surprised that no one had mentioned using Berger's recommendation for testing seating depth on VLD'S. Also, being a hunting rifle, it makes no sense to start your testing "into the lands". Berger recommends to start .010" off the lands for hunting rifles. Load 6 @ .010" off, 6 @ .050" off, 6 @ .090" off, and 6 @ .130" off. It is likely one of those depths will group significantly better than the rest. When you have determined which depth that is, fine tune from there. I recently performed that sequence on a custom barreled hunting rifle and the .130" off was far and away the best group. Next was .010" off. The other 2 we're terrible. I use this same method with competition rifles and VLD'S, only starting at .010" into the lands and then move away .040" at a time. Had one rifle that shot very well .010" into the lands, but even better @.120" off. I'm convinced that the VLD'S are very sensitive to seating depth. I'm also in the camp for doing a ladder test to determine charge weight before seating depth testing. The problem with that sometimes is a rifle that shoots so badly it is impossible to find the nodes. You can verify what I have said about depth testing VLD'S on Berger's website or better yet, purchase their reloading manual. Good luck on your testing!

I haven't read this thread but I did offer to have the OP PM me which he did. Now I will never criticize a persons choice of a bullet because that is the fun IMO of reloading is choosing what you want to use for whatever reason it may be and seeing what you can do with it.
Having said that I will no longer choose a VLD bullet for hunting for 1 reason. I want to dictate the seating depth and VLD's are crazy jump sensitive and just as this gentleman found the best depth is .130 Well hell thats taking up a huge amount of case space which is meant for more powder and more velocity at less pressure and less wiggle in the jump. So I chose Elite hunters which are NOT jump sensitive, high BC, and load them at 20 thousandths off the lands backed by RL 26 in Nosler brass and federal GM 215 primers. I worked up some calculations etc and I doubt people will believe me but my FIRST trip to the range produced a 5 shot 1/2" group at 100 yards with a satisfying 3,056 FPS average on a 175 grain bullet. Now I will take it to 600 yards and fine tune for the hell of it.

I haven't read this thread but I did offer to have the OP PM me which he did. Now I will never criticize a persons choice of a bullet because that is the fun IMO of reloading is choosing what you want to use for whatever reason it may be and seeing what you can do with it.
Having said that I will no longer choose a VLD bullet for hunting for 1 reason. I want to dictate the seating depth and VLD's are crazy jump sensitive and just as this gentleman found the best depth is .130 Well hell thats taking up a huge amount of case space which is meant for more powder and more velocity at less pressure and less wiggle in the jump. So I chose Elite hunters which are NOT jump sensitive, high BC, and load them at 20 thousandths off the lands backed by RL 26 in Nosler brass and federal GM 215 primers. I worked up some calculations etc and I doubt people will believe me but my FIRST trip to the range produced a 5 shot 1/2" group at 100 yards with a satisfying 3,056 FPS average on a 175 grain bullet. Now I will take it to 600 yards and fine tune for the hell of it.
I understand that in many cases the extra space removed from deep seated bullets can be a liability. In the hunting rifle example I gave it was not an issue, in fact maybe an asset. The caliber was the old school 25-06. The powder was H4831SC. The charge weight was 52 grains which I chose from my ladder test. I am still left with quite a bit of room inside the case. I actually have not even checked velocity at this point. Past testing has shown around 60 fps more velocity using 4831 SC than straight 4831 of equal charge rates. I will check muzzle velocity and run a ballistic chart when I get a chance. I can shoot to 600 here, so I'll get actual scope settings after that.

So I chose Elite hunters which are NOT jump sensitive, high BC, and load them at 20 thousandths off the lands backed by RL 26 in Nosler brass and federal GM 215 primers. I worked up some calculations etc and I doubt people will believe me but my FIRST trip to the range produced a 5 shot 1/2" group at 100 yards with a satisfying 3,056 FPS average on a 175 grain bullet. Now I will take it to 600 yards and fine tune for the hell of it.
I got good accuracy with 175 EH at several seating depths but in my 28 Nosler found the best so far to be .093" jump. 15201294637971224687267.jpg

Last edited:

How did you arrived at the 68-70.6 g Retumbo range for the 180 Berger VLD? How about the 175 ELD-X? Without knowing your "actual" load development process, brass, seating depths, primer, velocity and SD, etc., you might have passed your accuracy node. Need more pertinent info to provide you the best course of action.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.