7mm mag

What would a better powder be I have also tried 4831 and 4831 sc but couldn't get them to group. Would 4350 be a good choice to try
Something much slower, like 7828, 7977, or H1000.

Also, I'd step up to the 168-175 class bullets, like the Berger 168 VLD's or 175 Elite Hunters.

Either H4350/IMR4350/AA4350 and 150-160gr bullets go very well together! Usually the slower powders as mentioned do well also. Lots of good choices. Then, you have some newer powders, like R17 and R26, among many others. I got terrific speed/accuracy in my last 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr/R26 and R33 with the 175gr. Both great powders IMO.

I've tried most slow burners in my 7mm Weatherby mag(similar round) and Norma MRP has been great in respect to accuracy and velocity.

MR200
Glad to see your previous post on pressure spikes. I had the same thing happen to me with my 25/06 and could not figure out what had taken place. I knew my sizing die was properly adjusted, (well fire formed brass and .002 bump)and figured it may have been bad brass or something, all though all the other cases in the batch were doing good. Good to know. TKS

The brass I had that happen with, was Federal brass. I have not used any since. Which is a shame, because I had quite a bit of Federal STW brass saved up over the years, prior to me reloading. I ended up giving the rest to a friend who built an STW to help get him started (he was on a really tight budget, so I gave him all the once-fired Fed brass I had left).

I'm not really target shooting just hunting mostly elk and deer so I'm trying to keep speed up t and keep it flat. That's my reason for the 150s

I'm not really target shooting just hunting mostly elk and deer so I'm trying to keep speed up t and keep it flat. That's my reason for the 150s
Personally, I feel they are one in the same, and I prefer my hunting rifles to be just as accurate as my target rifles, out of respect for the animals, to give them as humane and clean and quick a dispatching as possible.

175's will be a much better option for elk and deer than a 150. KE (kinetic energy) will be much higher with the 175's, and that's more important for big game stopping power, than velocity.

I get what your saying and agree but there are lots of other things that come into play with that, like witch animal you are shooting, range, bullet placement, and a big one today with all the metallurgy type of slug. Not disagreeing, but There is more to it than just big heavy bullets, and that's a debate for another thread.

Thanks for your input it is appreciated

I'm well aware there's more to it than that, but bottom line, bigger and heavier bullets will always hold more downrange energy and oftentimes, just as much velocity as a lighter faster bullet, despite the slower muzzle velocity.

I've shot whitetail deer with everything from a 55gr .223 to a 220gr .300 Weatherby... Sometimes they run, sometimes they drop. Every animal is different, so every shot situation results will end differently. It's impossible to tell every shot whether they're gonna drop or run. That's why as hunters, we all try to stack our deck in our favor, to eliminate as much error as possible.

I've found deer seem to have a hard time walking away from a Berger 168 VLD leaving my 7mmRM at 3,115 FPS MV. I'm sure with a 175 Elite Hunter I wouldn't lose but maybe 50 FPS, but would gain more down range.

Listen to us or don't...Not my problem. You asked a question, we're giving you answers. That's what forums are for. Collaborating on issues to solve problems and help each other. If that's not what you're looking for, you might be better off getting advice from FakeBook, Twatter, or your local big box store, where everyone they hire off the street is an "expert".

Last edited:
Your absolutely right, totally agree but I have several incidents of deer and elk get waylaid right through the lungs and run off with lungs hanging out the far side from too heavy of bullets. And other instances where it you punch both lungs and they run farther and are hard to track with little blood from too big of a bullet not able to transfer the energy of that big bullet or that bullet type all of these instances have been with my 300 win mag. I do appreciate the input, I do agree I am just not wanting the heavy combination at this time was looking for different information. For that is a topic that can be debated over and over, with many opinions.

I had a whitetail deer drag half his guts out from an 80 yard run through a pine thicket/briar patch after being shot at 100 yards with a 7mm STW and a 160 Sierra Gameking... Like I said, each scenario will play-out differently, and you never know how each animal will react. Sometimes **** just happens that nobody can control, but you have to make the best of the situation. I wouldn't say the elk's lungs hanging out was from too heavy of a bullet. It just happened. Personally, I've seen the opposite, where light bullets exploding like grenades and sending shrapnel everywhere and causing a hell of a mess.

But, personal opinions are all based on our personal experiences. Good luck with your quest.

39931437-CD7E-4F6A-97B9-CD4937D73F04.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.