7mm ultra mag

fordrulz

Hi im new to the reloading scene and have a few questions. I am going to reload my 7mm ultra magnum and use us869 powder and a hornady 162g sst bullet. I can not find any load data any were for this combo. does anyone have any experience with this combo? any info would be helpful. thanks chris

I don't have any personal experience with this cartridge but what I do is use data for a like weight bullet. Nosler lists data for us869 with there 160 grain bullet just start at the bottom and work up slowly. I usually do .5 grain increments.

Thanks guy's. What are some things to look for? Group size? Accuracy? How do you know when to increase of decrease the charge? Also not sure what to look for on the case itself after the shot. Sorry for all the questions! Thanks again.

You might steer clear of CCI250 primers with that powder. I had fourteen hangfires out of fifteen shots. I switched to Fed 215 Mag and never had another hangfire.

Do you have a load manual? If you do read the front on how to reload. It should tell you how to watch for signs of pressure. If you don't try doing a search in the upper right hand corner of lrh lots of good info there

Chris, you might rethink your powder choice with a 162 gr bullet. I just got through working up loads for my son's 7 RUM and found imr 7828 and Retumbo to be a better fit for the 168 Berger Hybrid I used. Please follow other's advice and do your homework with several manuals /much research before attempting to reload for this cartridge as it can really develop some crazy pressures if you're not really careful. You might try to find a local, experienced mentor to get you on the right track. Good Luck

lightbulbI see an opportunity here.......
Go with the IMR 7828. Retumbo sucks........at least if you all would accept that and quit using it maybe I could find some for myself :D

No seriously, don't know how important this may be, but IMR 7828 is more temperature sensitive.

Hodgdon reloading Data for the 7mm ultra mag lists a 162 gr spbt bullet. At 100.5 min to 103.5 max with us 869 powder. I am using a 162 gr sst bullet both be hornady. I will start with then min. Of 103.5. These will only be used for hunting so I don't need to get exact but want it to be right. Should I make up 5 rounds or so and fire them before I load them all? Not sure what everyone usually does? Thanks again guys!

Chris, I would load up 3 rounds of US869 in .3 gr increments (so you don't miss a sweet spot), starting @ MIN Charge and work my way up, while monitoring CLOSELY for pressure signs, ie- brass shavings or ejector smears on case head, primer cratering and bolt lift. Let rifle cool between shots for best accuracy and you should find a low end and a high end accuracy node. Depending on your brass prep, your case volumes will vary, as will your pressure, even w/ the same charge. IF you run&gun your way thru this stage of load development, you will learn nothing. Remember all guns are different in the charges and bullets, they will shoot accurately or safely. If you detect pressure signs, back off the charge and look for a lower node. Consistent preparation of brass, primer seating, powder charging weights,and base to ogive bullet seating should be your top priority at this stage. Hope you have success with your reloading, just remember to maintain a good record book, measure everything twice and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.