7mm Mag Norma Brass, too soft?

I knew I read people were using that amount of H1000 with the 180s.

I chronod 68.5 H1000 and 180 hybrids and got avg. 2953fps with ES of 17 for 3 shots. That was with Norma brass, showed good swipes and hence why I started my ladder low at 66.6 and stopped at 68.2.

I will try the win brass.

thats it try both and chronograph if possible , the load i use in my Sendero is

rem or win brass cci 250 primer 69g of H1000 180g VLDH Burger at 2960fps

that load works good for me and i neck size 4x then bump the shoulder .

neck sizing is not a problem unless you are loading hot.

I was responding at the same time you were Mudrunner. Am I just loading them too hot? Maybe my numbers were off, but I swore I read multiple people using between 68 and 70 gr. H1000 with 180s.
EVERY gun is different. No two guns are guaranteed to be alike, even if they are identical and were built 1 after the other by the same person using the same tools on the same day... Some guns can handle that much powder without showing pressure, some can't. You just have to find out what your particular rifle likes.

One gun might prefer 65gr, another might like 70... You have to start LOW (I would start around 65gr) and work up to where your gun is starting to show pressure signs. Every rifle's chamber is different. Don't go by what it says on the internet or in a book as being the gospel...Reloading manuals are just a guideline to go by. And alot of what you see on the internet is bullcrap from people trying to sound cool (not anyone in particular, just stating that most of the internet is BS). So take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt...

Just because the primer isn't cratered doesn't mean there's no excess pressure. If you are getting ejector marks, then you have excess pressure.

EVERY gun is different. No two guns are guaranteed to be alike, even if they are identical and were built 1 after the other by the same person using the same tools on the same day... Some guns can handle that much powder without showing pressure, some can't. You just have to find out what your particular rifle likes.

One gun might prefer 65gr, another might like 70... You have to start LOW (I would start around 65gr) and work up to where your gun is starting to show pressure signs. Every rifle's chamber is different. Don't go by what it says on the internet or in a book as being the gospel...Reloading manuals are just a guideline to go by. And alot of what you see on the internet is bullcrap from people trying to sound cool (not anyone in particular, just stating that most of the internet is BS). So take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt...

Just because the primer isn't cratered doesn't mean there's no excess pressure. If you are getting ejector marks, then you have excess pressure.

Amen!

Now back to "Norma brass too soft"....too soft for what? Why do we anneal brass?

Sound advice. I will load some up at the 65 you suggest and work up. Thanks for the explanation. Hard to weed out the bs when you are starting off and don't know any better.

Sound advice. I will load some up at the 65 you suggest and work up. Thanks for the explanation. Hard to weed out the bs when you are starting off and don't know any better.
Completely understandable, we were all there at one time. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I would work up in .5 grain incriments, too. That way you can get more precise idea of where your load's pressure is starting to spike.

Checked out three reloading manuals and these are their Maximim Loads for 175gr bullets and H1000 powder in 7mm Magnum. They were using Nosler, Federal, and Winchester Brass.

Nosler Data 65.5 H1000 175 Nosler
Sierra Data 63.4 H1000 175 Sierra
Hodgdon Data 64.5 H1000 175 Nosler

Ok you say "most people shooting this combo are loading around 69 grains" of H1000 powder but you are getting some pressure signs with lesser charges and it must be the Norma brass right? Besides the original OP was "Norma Brass, too soft?" Well I would suggest you just switch to another brand of brass. If the Norma brass is once fired or new I will buy it from you.
Most of the 69 grains of H1000 are using 168 grain bullets or less.

I use Nosler brass for my 300 RUM and it is definitely softer then Rem brass, but is of better quality. Also on average the nosler is 10 grains heavier than the rem I use. I use what Kirby has explained in other posts as my max usable load which is a hint of an ejector mark, you have to look very hard and in the right light to see it. Kind of a ghost mark in the shape of a half moon. With this I anneal after every firing and have loaded my Nosler brass a total of 12 times before I had a hairline fracture at the webbing and threw them out. My RUM has a tight chamber and if I loaded how everyone else was for it here on the forum I am sure I would have blown myself up already. I'm with MudRunner2005 start low and let the brass tell you when to stop.

Reuben

thats it try both and chronograph if possible , the load i use in my Sendero is

rem or win brass cci 250 primer 69g of H1000 180g VLDH Burger at 2960fps

that load works good for me and i neck size 4x then bump the shoulder .

neck sizing is not a problem unless you are loading hot.

I have also shot 69gr H1000 under 180's. I found 70.5gr retumbo shoots 180's at 2960 sub moa. Brass I'd doing fine. No pressure signs at all. Winchester brass.

So back to my original post,

To simplify: I had pressure signs with the following:

150g TTSX with 59g H4831SC, Norma Brass, Fed 215 GMM primers @ 2672FPS (60 grains and above gave extraction trouble) and actually there was a little resistance to bolt lift with 59g.

Factory Remington 150g Cor-Lokt ammo chronograpgs over 3100FPS without any pressure signs.

The difference in velocity there is huge. I understand that my reload could be hot, but I don't believe it actually is. Based on the above I don't believe I was out of line to question the brass. I am not exactly chasing RUM velocities here. At this point Im barely keeping up with my 284 win.

So back to my original post,

To simplify: I had pressure signs with the following:

150g TTSX with 59g H4831SC, Norma Brass, Fed 215 GMM primers @ 2672FPS (60 grains and above gave extraction trouble) and actually there was a little resistance to bolt lift with 59g.

Factory Remington 150g Cor-Lokt ammo chronograpgs over 3100FPS without any pressure signs.

The difference in velocity there is huge. I understand that my reload could be hot, but I don't believe it actually is. Based on the above I don't believe I was out of line to question the brass. I am not exactly chasing RUM velocities here. At this point Im barely keeping up with my 284 win.

i agree with you as this is exactly the same problem i had

funny how it is not a problem with the other brass (win and rem)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.