7mm Dakota by MCR

Kevin Cram

Well I just finished putting the final pieces together on another 7mm Dakota build. The customer wanted a lighter weight hammer for deer and elk. I think this should fit the bill. Weighing in at 10 lbs even the way you see it. Here's the specs, I hope you enjoy.

Stiller Predator Action
20 moa Pinned Rail
Burris 30mm Zee Rings
Huskemaw 5-20 LR
Brux Barrel / 7mm / 1-8 twist / #4 contour / finished at 25" / fluted
Bead Blast Finish
Chambered 7mm Dakota and throated for 180 Bergers
Mini Muscle Brake
PTG BDL Bottom Metal
Wyatts MBE3 Mag Box
Manners MCS-SL
Pillar Bedded
Jewel Trigger at 1lbs.

RodgerZellner7mmDakota1.jpg

RodgerZellner7mmDakota2.jpg

RodgerZellner7mmDakota3.jpg

RodgerZellner7mmDakota4.jpg

RodgerZellner7mmDakota6.jpg

I did the initial barrel break in and have been load testing today. I'll post some target photos when I'm done.

After a couple different loads of Retumbo and the 180 Berger bullets I think I found a load worth testing long range. The group closest to center is at 100 yards. The low shot was from a clean cold bore, then 4 more packed in a sub 1/2 moa group. Through the chronograph I was running 3030 fps with an SD of 006 through the Oehler 35P. I then moved the target back to 200 yards and fired 5 more, they are the group lower right of center. Still Sub 1/2 moa. Velocity averaged 3034 with an SD of 003 this time. Next test is tomorrow at some longer distances.

Rocks beware !!

7mmDakota.jpg

I like the looks of that rifle for a back-packable weight rifle. I like it even better when I see those tiny bullet groupings. :) Thanks for sharing another rifle build project with us.

Wait a minute!! How many times did you miss that dime??:D

Fantastic rifle!! That owner will be proud!!

Capt. Academy, unfortunately this won't be my rifle. The rifle itself I really like and it shoots up to my standards right off the bat. Not to badmouth the scope but I'd sooner shoot anything other than the one that's on it. It's clear and it returns to zero but the 1/3moa turrets is the hardest thing to train your mind to think in when your used to 1/4 moa. The turrets aren't even marked in moa they're in 1/3 moa clicks. Good thing I wasn't trying to rush a shot as it took me ten times as long to figure out the drop. I know the customer will be sending it in for a set of custom turrets but in my opinion they're about as good as tits on a bull. Any way my rant is over.

I got out and tried some longer ranges to day to see how she did. I couldn't really stretch its legs but was able to test out to 675 yards. We started with a rock at 639 yards. All the ingredients were plugged into exbal and it called for 11 moa. After about 5 minutes of figuring out where 11 moa was on the scope (33 clicks) the first shot was about 8" high. A follow up shot confirmed the same place. A reduction of 5 clicks split the baseball size rock into pieces. Next range was a 460 yard rock. Exbal called for 6 1/3 moa. or in this case 19 clicks. The first shot ran about 6" high and a second follow up shot landed in the same spot. I was starting to see a pattern here. I made a correction of 4 clicks down and hit split the rock on the next shot. Close to where we were shooting the last rock was a walnut tree loaded with walnuts. The tree ranged right at 400 yards. Exbal called for 5 moa or 15 clicks. It seemed that everything was going about 4-5 clicks high. I reduced the value to 10 clicks and proceeded to pluck a total of 4 walnuts out of the tree in 4 shots. With only a couple shells left I picked a 6" stone out at 673 yards. Exbal wanted but 12 moa or 36 clicks. I subtracted 5 clicks and nailed the stone. All in all I was happy with how the rifle performed. Just needs a different scope...LOL

Kevin,

I started shooting 7mm Dak over 10 yrs ago, orig. set up for shooting 162's and 173's through a Lilja, 9t, 27" heavy contour on a blueprinted M70 action set in a custom McMillan F class prone stock topped w/a 8x32 NF NPR-2 LR. Its odd that few are into the 7 Dakota its a great multipurpose cartridge.

If I weren't starting a 6XC build, I'd have another barrel made in an 8 twist. Can you give more detail on the Brux you used, 5R or ? Also, have you tried anything heavier than the 180's ?

I've experimented a bit with some 189 and 190's but I don't find the accuracy I want w/ the 9 twist. I'd be interested to know what your charge is also.

Nice work on the rifle.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.