7mm Allen Magnum for sale on Cabelas web site, be WARNED!!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
IT has come to my attention that there is a rifle listed on Cabelas web page that is listed as a Christensen Arms 7mm Allen Magnum.

I did some research and got ahold of the seller and found out a couple things. This is a rifle I build several years ago. It was originally bedded into a Rem factory laminate sender stock and fitted with a Lilja 30" fluted barrel.

It was sold to a customer of mine who after a year or so sold the rifle to another person. Now the rifle shows up with a new stock and Christensen Arms barrel and they are saying it was made by Christensen Arms.

In all reality, they simply turned down the original used Lilja barrel blank and put their name on it.

I would WARN anyone about this rifle as I would suspect accuracy would be very poor having done this work on an exisiting used barrel. I can not take any legal action against Christensen arms because of the work they did, no different then me taking a Rem 700 and building on it and putting my name on it but for what they did, I feel it is pretty unethical to call it their rifle.

Anyway, just a heads up. THey are asking more for the rifle then I sold it for new, ALOT MORE!!!!

Anyway, if you run into it, I would NOT buy it. If you want a 7mm AM, get ahold of me and we will make you up a new one for less money that will have an accuracy garantee, this rifle will have no such garantee from me and if it does not shoot, I can not see how Christensen arms can rebarrel the rifle, they do not have the 7mm AM reamers.

Kirby Allen(50)

I registered and asked them a couple questions about it , I doubt that they will even reply.

Kirby did you contact them about this?

I can't buying a rifle in such a hot round that has been owned by two other guys especialy not form $3500 !!!, whats the chances of the barrel being shot out?

Last edited:
James Jones,

The funny thing is that it was my personal rifle, I probably had 150 rounds down her before I sold it. Still shot VERY good, 1/2 moa when I sold it.

The customer that bought it from me is a good customer and I know him very well. He shot the rifle quite a bit and was very happy with the ballistic performance and accuracy of the rifle but wanted to use the rifle in all weather conditions and that simply is not possible with a single load using WC872, just a bit temp sensitive so you really need a warm and cold weather load if you want top performance in all conditions with reliable function.

He sold the rifle and thats the end of what I know about the rifles history.

It it was cared for, It could easily have a decent amount of life left in the barrel, at least big game hunting life that is. Will it snipe a ground squirrel at 800 yards, maybe, yet again, thats not what the 7mm AM is designed for.

My main concern is this, its a tricky thing to reduce an existing barrel down dramatically in diameter without having the bore diameter increase or become inconsistant along the length of the bore.

Properly made carbon wrapped barrels have barrel blanks that are specifically made to a profile for wrapping the carbon fiber on them, as such they can maintain proper bore specs. I do not know how Christensen Arms would be able to do this and maintain the original specs of the Lilja barrels bore.

Plus, as you mentioned, $3500!!!!:confused: My god, a brand new rifle would be less then this ordered from me. Its on a Rem 700 receiver for crying out loud. Hell, a custom receivered 7mm AM would be less then this.

They seem to be awful proud of their work at Christensen Arms, not sure why, all they did was turn a barrel down and apply carbon fiber........

Anyway, if anyone wants a 7mm AM and happens to see this rifle, PLEASE DO NOT BUY IT, call me up, we will get you a new rifle with an accuracy garantee for less money and you will know exactly what you have in your rifle, stay away from this rifle PLEASE because I will not be backing this rifle in any way as far as warrantee work or accuracy garantees.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sorry, Yes, I contacted them telling them I was the original maker of the rifle and I wanted the SN off the rifle. They gave it to me, thats how I know its the rifle I speak of looking it up in my log books.

Kirby Allen(50)

Shawn,

I know what you mean. I get a little queezy knowing that my name is right there next to Christensen Arms.........

Guess there is nothing I can do about it except spread the word not to buy it.

Kirby Allen(50)

RTV900,

Send me an e-mail at the address in my signature, I will get you any information you want. I do not have web site yet. I am considering it but right now I am worried about being able to keep up with orders do not want my customers to wait 2 years for a rifle.

Let me know what questions you have and I will get you any information you want personally.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

This is off topic, however, regarding your web site, I think you are to good a smith not to have one. You are so knowledgeable and awesome at your craft, you need to be heard and reconized. I think you could keep up with the orders, it would take a lot of work, but I bet you could make it work.

I just really think it's time you are noticed. More shooters and hunters need to know who you are. You have designed some awesome rifles and cartridges, and I bet there are a ton of people who would like to Know about you and your designes.

Anyhow, I have appreciated your help thoughout the years I have been on this site. I know we have had some minor disagreements, however, I really respect you as a person, your knowledge about ballistics, gunsmithing abilities and professionalism. I wish you the best, and I really hope you design a web site.

W.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.