7mm-08

Bought mine daughter a 7-08 for here first elk hunt when she turned 12. She killed an elk and a buck each year for the next 4 years. Furthest shot was a bull about 200 yards broadside. I was loading moderate speed 150 grain partitions. Few years ago I took it out for old times and shot a bull and a cow. With a suitable bullet, on elk I would take a broadside shot to 500 With confidence.

Use a ballistics calculator (Click here for JBM's online one), and figure out where your bullet of choice drops below ~2000 fps, or ~1500 ftlbs of energy, at the elevations/temps/pressures you're likely to be hunting in.

For example, 160 Accubond, MV = 2650 fps, 6500 ft elevation, 50° F, 50% humidity, 29.9 inHg (corrected), will hit that threshold at ~450 yds. 2070 fps, 1521 ftlbs. Running the same conditions with 160 partition gives about 400 yds.

Then figure out what distance you can hit a paper plate, in field conditions, 9 outa 10 times. Whichever distance is the shorter of the two, should be your maximum hunting range.
Great advice right there☝🏼.
Range time and really knowing your weapon system can not be overestimated. Whatever range you are supremely confident and comfortable with, making 1st shot hits, below that distance at which you hit minimum energy for your particular bullet, that is your max range.

I suggest the above exercise in figuring out the minimum energy/speed at which your bullet will reliably work and then try to work up to that range. First round hits in an 8 inch (10 max) circle, in varied weather conditions. Try to shoot at various temps/amounts of mirage, and various amounts of wind and rain/snow, and also varied shooting positions. The last several years, I have tried this approach and it has been eye opening and made me a far better marksman. I more fully understand my limitations in unpredictable hunting conditions. My max range changes, to match those conditions based on practice and data I have been able compile. For me, that max range tends to be around 50-60% of my max range under ideal conditions in a prone position. However as more of those variables become less than ideal the range shrinks. Only range time lets you know where you are at and makes you truly comfortable. Plus, it is a good reason to shoot often.

Terminal Ballistics Research in New Zealand has great information on what bullets from what cartridges do on actual animals. Well worth the read.