7mm-08 Ladder test to 300 yrds - what do I have?

frankinaustin

Howdy everyone- sending this from the range and attaching a picture. My question is what do I have and what do I do next. The pic shows my target with my rounds marked. I included my build sheet as well in the photo.

It seems that the shot-series that have the least amount of vertical dispersion have the MOST amount of horizontal spread. What should I conclude? Shots 4, 5, and 6 are less than 1/2" ctc dispersed vertically at 300 yrds; shots 13, 14, 15 are about 1 1/2" vertically spread at 300. From what I've read these two clusters are my areas of interest. Yet with all that horizontal scattering, is there something I need to be aware of? Thx to all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 131
No expert on running a ladder but, looking at your target I'd probably go with the 40 gr load and check it for repeatability and actual 3, 5 or 10 shot groups. If it was a hunting load, I'd probably just stick with 3 shot groups.

If it repeats and holds accuracy I'd start running it out to 4, 5 and 600 yards.

Given what I see I'd suggest loading 3 each of loads 10, 11 & 12 then shoot them round robin at 3 separate targets.

This should reveal something. If you don't get 3 reasonable groups with one being better than the other two I'd next validated bedding.

just my 2 cents...

myself i would concentrate on the 4, 5, and 6 since that group also has the least vertical spread. start with #4 and gradually work up in smaller increments and see what happens. then start playing with the seating depth a little at a time and try to pull the shots in closer. JMO :rolleyes:

Bruce

I would work on 4,5,6 also. I don't pay attention to horizontal spread on a ladder test. Could have been wind, etc.

Ditto.. I'm pretty sure the 7-08 I loaded for fell right about where you are. FWIW It was a factory savage.

Hello everyone - thanks to all for your valued insights!
I conducted a second ladder and used the exact same brass, loads, etc. Below is a pic of my first target and my second (1 week later) target.

I'm going to now work on seeing if I get good groups with loads 2, 8, and 10, which are 39.1, 40.9, and 41.5 gr of Varget under 140 gr Nos BT Combined Technology with Neck Sized Lapua 708 brass, BR2 primer all smashed in to 2.840 COAL.

Stay tuned....
(PS - on the advice of one of the early posts, I took my barreled action out of the stock, cleaned out the lug cavity with compressed air, wiped down the action, and reassembled and torqued the action screws to 30 inch pounds. Seems to have cleared up some of the extreme horizontal scattering. Thanks for that!)

Attachments

• 7mm-08 Ladder first.jpg
    7mm-08 Ladder first.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 7mm-08 ladder take 2photo.jpg
    7mm-08 ladder take 2photo.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.