7mag 160 gr partition at near max speed vs 300wsm 165gr partition or accubond at near max speed.

hunter284

Last year I shot a medium size black bear with the 7mag and it dropped in it's tracks. This year there will be at least 2 larger bears, 100 to 150 lbs. more. Will I notice any difference in results between the 2 cartridges, as I am looking to drop it in it's tracks. I hunt alone and don't relish the thought of tracking a wounded bear in the woods. Thanks.

I find the Partition to work very well, however, the Accubond IMHO is the ducks guts as far as penetration goes.
I have witnessed the Accubond, both 180/200gr 30 cal and 225/250gr 338 cal, go end to end on frontal shots on quite a few different sized critters, including Girrafe and Eland of the very large variety.

In all honesty, either will get the job done, but I would lean towards the Accubond personally.

Cheers.

I find the Partition to work very well, however, the Accubond IMHO is the ducks guts as far as penetration goes.
I have witnessed the Accubond, both 180/200gr 30 cal and 225/250gr 338 cal, go end to end on frontal shots on quite a few different sized critters, including Girrafe and Eland of the very large variety.

In all honesty, either will get the job done, but I would lean towards the Accubond personally.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info. I will try both and see which one gives the best accuracy.

Both oughta be pretty serious medicine for a bear of just about any size, but I'd think the 7mm might have the edge. Higher sectional density and lower velocity will get you a bit more penetration perhaps. Driving a 165 class bullet at magnum speeds might overwhelm even the AB/partition if you're very close.

Any reason you're not trying a 180 class bullet in the 300 WSM? That would certainly be a step up over the 7mm for a burly critter.

Both oughta be pretty serious medicine for a bear of just about any size, but I'd think the 7mm might have the edge. Higher sectional density and lower velocity will get you a bit more penetration perhaps. Driving a 165 class bullet at magnum speeds might overwhelm even the AB/partition if you're very close.

Any reason you're not trying a 180 class bullet in the 300 WSM? That would certainly be a step up over the 7mm for a burly critter.
Thanks for the info. I have 30 cal. 180 gr. partitions and 180 gr. accubonds that I will try. I think that would be a big step up over the 7mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.