7LRM Hornady 175grn ELD-X load data please

Thanks for Chime In. I'm been feeling pretty low about the gun all weekend. Woke up last night at 2AM, first thing I thought about. Paid too much for the gun to have to play with it. Got a 7RUM Sendero that I replaced with this that shoots great with minimal work. Just too heavy for a old man to carry around. Bothers me that I paid for load development that shoots like crap. Plus I waited extra months till they got the Eldxs. Even though they hunted all last fall with them. Theres got to be a issue the eldx's or they would be selling them by now. You would think if guy dropped 10K on a gun they could produce one box of ammo to verify their load. I never even got a target which I thought they sent with the gun. I'm a small business owner. I know all about catering to the customer and dealing with the public. My friend who is having trouble with his 7LRM has told me how someone always use to answer the phone there. Now he has a hard time getting people to return his calls. He owns two of there guns and he is frustrated. Maybe they got too big!

I feel your pain!!! I'm 99% sure it's a brass issue combined with a bullet issue. I have several friends who work for GW and have spoke with them about these issues. They are having better luck and consistency with the 162grn eld-x's. I'm not sure if I mentioned it above but you have to weigh and sort the 175's. They're vastly inconsistent. Then there's the brass issue. We all know Hornady is not know for quality brass. Well they've really dropped the ball with this brass. I've noticed major differences in neck tension on my loads. I'm using a 313 bushing from recommendations of GW. I'm going to start neck turning and possibly annealing them to see if I can resolve that. I might even scrap the thought of shooting the 175's and just stick with the vld's for now. I might try the 175 NABLR's.

I'm going to load up one more round of the 175's this week and if they don't shoot I'm scrapings them. It's weird tho that they shoot vertically very well and they shoot 1/4moa at 500...that's what really boggles me...

I tried the 175 ABLR this weekend. Shot like the ELDX. They might be a bigger mystery than the ELDX. I really would like to use those. Out of 5 guns I've tried them in only one would shoot them, and that was the 150 grain. Let me know if you have any luck. Thanks.

JGal - are you shooting with a clean barrel? My MtnX shoots better and better as it gets fouled. Takes about 20 to 22 shots from a clean barrel before it performs at its best. Don't get me wrong it shoots good clean but better as it gets fouled. This is with 180 Bergers though not ELD's. We shoot out to 1500 yds and the gun can outperform my shooting capabilities.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 95
c-ne-elk, thanks for all your input. Much appreciated. I'm going to give the bergers a try. Are you running Gunwerks standard load of H1000, 72.0, fed 215. Whats the OAL.

Dang. That's just sickening!!! That's what I've been trying to get my gun to shoot!!! What is your load for the Bergers?

Rick, Wow! Thank you for sharing! Do you have any idea what your ogive measurement is? Does your gun like to shoot these dirty/fouled? I'm wondering if I'm just cleaning to much. I usually clean it down to a clean bore after 50 rounds. Also what are your experiences with reloading the Hornady brass? How many loads are you getting and are you seeing any difference in your neck tensions? Are you neck turning or annealing your brass for this round? Thanks!

I had a very scientific way of getting my load and seating depth...

My first 7LRM was a rifle built by Matt Spoon using a Gunwerks reamer. When I got ready to try it out I asked Gunwerks what their load was. At that time the Berger Hybrids were not out so they were using the 180 g VLD Hunting bullets with the same load they use today with an OAL of 3.430 (same as today) so as a starting point I loaded them up. They shot so good I never tried anything else.

A few years later I bought a MtnX in 7LRM from Gunwerks (gun only) and started load development and scope turret data. They told me at that time that they were still using the same load, same OAL but using the Berger Hybrids so I gave those a shot in my MtnX and like the photo that I posted earlier, they shot lights out so I have never changed. I did try shooting some VLD Hunters out of the MtnX but they did not shoot quite as good as the Hybrids.

In my MtnX my loads cronograph at 3015 fps but to match up with my turret settings I had to adjust the velocity to 3050 fps at 4,000 ft and 50 degrees. My buddies MtnX chronographs the same load at 2980 fps and his turret settings matched his velocity. (we create our own turret data)

I have not turned any necks, just resize new brass, load them up and shoot them. Trim, tumble and repeat. I am full length sizing but only set the shoulder back .002. These chamber very smooth and easy in my rifle.

I have had such good luck over the years hunting with the VLD Hunters that I tried them in my MtnX and they did not shoot quite as good at the Hybrids so I stuck with the Hybrids in that rifle. I have shot 2 elk and 2 mule deer with the Hybrids in the 2 years I have owned the MtnX and those bullets performed perfectly too so I now have confidence in the Hybrids too.

I literally use the same seating die without adjusting it when loading for these two rifles even though I am using 2 different bullets. I have never tried any other load other than the 72.0 g of H1000.

You get lucky every now and then, these 2 rifles make up for the 10 or 15 rifles that I have owned in the past that have given me issues.

Not to say that I have not had issues with these rifles over the years. For a while I would blow primers out of every round I fired, even new brass. Finally figured out that my brass was too long and needed trimming (oops, my bad). Now I trim my brass every time I shoot (using a Little Crow, WFT trimmer, so easy and so fast). The lack of consistancy in the Hornady brass is very evident. Some brass hardly needs trimming some needs major trimming even after one shot. Bullet seating tension is all over the place, some are tough to seat some are easy but they all shoot good and consistant, even out to 1500 yards.

My Spoon rifle will start shooting consistant after about 3 shots but my MtnX, while keeping 0.75 moa after about 2 or 3 shots down a clean bore but it really starts to settle in after about 20 shots. I have shot it over 100 times without cleaning it with no loss of accuracy.

I get 6 to 8 loads out of a brass before the primer pockets get loose, this is out of either rifle. I will usually get 2 to 3 more loads out of that brass before the primers will literally fall out if I shake the brass. I do trim and tumble (using SS media) after every time I shoot.

Not sure if this helps but I hope so!

Can't remember the ogive measurement since I disposed of my notes on this rifle when I sold it a few months back, however it was .010 off the lands

As far as the velocity it was around the 3100 fps range I believe. This was out of a 28 inch Bartlein barrel.

It would shoot less than 1/2 inch groups also at 300 yards. I took a nice bull elk this past year in New Mexico with at a bit over 650 yards.

Thanks c-ne-elk! I tried 72 grns in mine and it was all over the map plus it was pretty hot. I haven't tried the hybrids as I can't ever seem to find any locally.

Can't remember the ogive measurement since I disposed of my notes on this rifle when I sold it a few months back, however it was .010 off the lands

As far as the velocity it was around the 3100 fps range I believe. This was out of a 28 inch Bartlein barrel.

It would shoot less than 1/2 inch groups also at 300 yards. I took a nice bull elk this past year in New Mexico with at a bit over 650 yards.

Why did you sell it!!!!???!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.