7828 v. 7828SSC

Derek M.

I've not used the latter but I have plenty of experience with regular IMR7828. Like Hodgdon 4831 and 4831SC, I'm wondering if there is a difference if using the new 7828SSC?

Here's what they say from the website:

IMR 7828SSC
This magnum rifle powder has exactly the same burn speed as standard 7828 and uses the same data. However, due to the super short kernels, metering is virtually as good as a spherical powder. This allows up to 4% more powder space in the case and in many loads yields more velocity than standard 7828. Such loads are marked with an asterisk in the data to show where standard 7828 will not fit.

Just wondering if anyone has done field tests. Thanks.

I use both and have found the 7828 ssc to create more pressure grain for grain than regular 7828. I have seen this in 2 different calibers. I would start a few grains under 7828 data with the 7828 ssc. I have had good luck with both.

I've shot both 7828 and 7828 sc in 3 cartridges now. 300 WSM, 6.5x284, and 280 AI.

There was no difference whatsoever between the 2 powders. They gave the exact same speed grain for grain with no classic pressure signs.

I was testing 7828SSC in a 270 AM this evening. I started w/ 82 grains and went to 84 grains one grain at a time. Didn't reach any pressure indicators.

The stupid chrony didn't record a thing.:mad: tomorrow's another day.

I'm more concerned with powder bridging than anything else which is what happened w/larger kernels of other stick powders.

I have experienced similar resuts to Lost Creek in my 7mm mag. Slightly less velocity and more pressure with the 7828ssc. Still a go to powder with the 160 accubonds and partitions.

I know what powder bridging is, as explained to me by Kirby. I did ask about the smaller cuts of extruded powders to be used in the 270 AM, as I own one as well. My question is this, is bridging a substantial issue when the case is not completely full, and it is horizontal in the chamber, ready to fire? The powder will rest in the case with gravity, filling the bottom shoulder but not the top.

I was wanting to try the 7828SSC and Reloder 25. The reloder powders are of the extruded type, but are small cuts anyway. And, I've yet to use a magnum rifle of any caliber where Re22 or Re25 did not produce excellent accuracy. The only time I've noticed temp sensitivity was when shooting above 85 degrees. In the last 20 years, I've noticed no change in velocity or POI using Alliant powders so long as temps were b/w 25 and 65 degrees.

I used to keep records after working up a load and hunting with it in various states at different temps, elevation, etc. Granted, the longest shot I've made prior to 2004 was under 450 yards.

Derek M,

I was messing with 135 grain bullets in the AM w/H-1000 and Retumbo when I experienced the bridging. I blew two primers out of the 3 shot group. I didn't recognize it at the time but an email to Kirby provided the explanation.

I'm shooting 150s w/the SSC and expect no bridging problems whatever.

I hope the temperamental chrony does its count thing today. However, there's not a cloud in the sky which turns out to be the worst condition.:(

US-869 pushes the 150 @ 3500 but burns very, very dirty. It burns much cleaner with the 169s.

Roy, I did not plan on trying the Hodgdon powders due to their physical characteristics, and fear of the resultant bridging.

I will try the Re25 as Kirby has not, and as soon as possible, I will report results. Bullets will be 150 Btip, 150 Berger VLD, and 169.5 Wildcat.

I would like to use this rifle in TX for my antelope hunt this September.

I'll add a little here...

While I haven't been reloading for years - all I reload is my 300 Win Mag and I go through a couple pounds of powder a month. I was using Re22 - but it wasn't giving me good groups with heavier bullets and was leaving a lot of crud in my barrel after 30 shots. I switched over to IMR 4350 and had good results with it. I went to IMR 7828SSC because I am using the 208gr AMax bullet and had read outstanding results with that combo across the internet. I have also noticed that I don't have near the crud in my barrel after a long trip to the range, when shooting the 7828SSC.

Derek M,

I got the chrony working this after noon.

I tried 83, 84 and 85 grains of 7828SSC and the 150 gr ballistic tip. The 85 grain load, gave 3502 FPS is pretty much max in my gun.

145 TSXs gave 3600/3514/3524/3574/3402/3499/3530. They didn't shoot for squat which was expected.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.