77 grain smk for whitetail

Gray R

Hey everybody. My question isn't in regard to long range but the people on this website know more about bullet characteristics than the manufacturers do so this is where I'm asking. I just acquired a 223 and I'd like to set it up for hunting and target but like a lot of us here I want to use one bullet for everything. I like the accuracy reputation of the smks and I have a buddy who killed a few things with em and says they did good but I'm lookin more for experience with whitetails in the 150 pound or less range. I'm also open to any bullet that a 1/9 twist will handle that has worked on deer. Let's hear it!

77gr's will be borderline at best. 69gr will most likely where you'll find stabilization in 1:9. I cannot comment on their performance on game, but there is a thread on the larger diameter tmk's on deer with good results floating around.

I think I have some loaded for my AR, might take them out and see how they do on jackrabbits.

I have not shot the 77 match king but do use the 69 match king for target and ground hogs. There is no way I would use it on deer unless I had no other option and was starving because it really comes apart on a ground hog. For deer if I had to use my 223 I would use one of these bullets that others tell me works well. 60 gr Nosler Partition, 65 gr Sierra game king, 64 gr Winchester power point or Barns 62 TTSX all pushed by Varget powder.

I have spent a lot of time chasing whitey's and killed hundreds every year on control. I have shot them with every caliber on the planet up to a 50 BMG.
I don't personally consider the 223 to be REAL deer round with any bullet in it really. I ran a 22-284 and a 223 WSSM for a while on deer and neither one was particularly impressive. The 90 gr VLD stuff even isn't quite enough for anything but a perfect situation, shot and deer reaction.
Some deer are just smooth tough and do silly stuff that you would never believe unless you saw it.
The 223 just doesn't have the frontal area to be truly effective. Yeah they will take a deer but you better be very careful and hope the critter doesn't get excited.
Deer have been and still are being killed with 22lr. Doesn't make it a good or even sane choice. Stick it in the lungs and they will fall sooner or later. As long as you are a great tracker who doesn't need more than pinpricks of blood, you will eventually find it.
If you are just bound and determined to use a 223 I would look into the Barnes line or other mono expanding bullet.
I have used the 62 TSX which should stabilize and you can try the 70 also. Just remember I was pushing those things almost 1000 FPS faster than you can and they still were nowhere near what I would call a deer load. Stuff happens. Shoot enough bullet to handle that stuff. No 22 handles STUFF.

Hey everybody. My question isn't in regard to long range but the people on this website know more about bullet characteristics than the manufacturers do so this is where I'm asking. I just acquired a 223 and I'd like to set it up for hunting and target but like a lot of us here I want to use one bullet for everything. I like the accuracy reputation of the smks and I have a buddy who killed a few things with em and says they did good but I'm lookin more for experience with whitetails in the 150 pound or less range. I'm also open to any bullet that a 1/9 twist will handle that has worked on deer. Let's hear it!
The SMK is a highly frangible bullet and I wouldn't use it on deer, just too much can go wrong particularly with a .223.

I've shot a lot of Nosler Partition 60gr at deer and pigs with my AR's and while I don't recommend it as a long range bullet out to the ranges you're probably going to be shooting at it should perform very well.

I've also had very good luck shooting Barnes Vor-TX factory ammo with their TTSX in .223 for both deer and hogs, again through my AR's.

Well I tend to shoot small deer at relatively close range and I don't take shots unless the deer is broadside and still. Watched a lot of deer leave the field because of this but it's just how I was taught and how I'm comfortable. And because of this I've already killed several deer with the 223 so I'm not looking for answers as to whether or not it kills deer because it does. It's just that simple. I was more hoping to hear from people who had killed deer with match bullets in the 223 and which ones worked and didn't on mid range shots on 150 or less pound deer. Thanks agin

Are we talking head shots at close range?

Thanks wild rose. I shot a pig a week or so back with the prtition and I could see my hit in the shoulder and he left in a hurry and I never found blood on the road he crossed so I'm not in such a hurry to try one on a deer. Part of why I'm now lookin at heavy match bullets. The 77 grain nosler wound up in the third water jug as shrapnel so it wasn't confidence inspiring either!

22's for deer....I love this argument. Can they kill deer? Yes. But with so many options at 6mm and larger why do it? Compare a 223 vs say a 240 or 257 wby or a 6.5CM or 270....just no contest. Graduate to a DEER rifle...why track a deer when you don't have to?

I've killed a bunch of whitetails with 55 grain game kings out of my 223. Keep your shots under a hundred yards and shoot them in the lungs! Me and a buddy killed 23 in one day on a cull hunt! Never lost a deer

My AR has an 8 twist barrel. I plan to shoot mostly 75gr Hornady HPBT Match for targets and varmints, but want to work up a load using 70gr GMX bullets for anything larger. I figure the 223 is minimal for small deer and highly recommend using a monolithic or bonded type bullet over any of the match bullets out there. I have shot the 55gr TSX out of my 9 twist Savage with accuracy rivaling what I get with the 68gr HPBT Match bullets I shoot for varmints.

Thanks wild rose. I shot a pig a week or so back with the prtition and I could see my hit in the shoulder and he left in a hurry and I never found blood on the road he crossed so I'm not in such a hurry to try one on a deer. Part of why I'm now lookin at heavy match bullets. The 77 grain nosler wound up in the third water jug as shrapnel so it wasn't confidence inspiring either!
If you're shooting pigs there's only one way to drop them in their tracks and that's to interrupt the CNS with a headshot or spine shot.

The Nosler Partition is among the most proven bullets in the world for good penetration and controlled expansion.

With something as light as the .223 penetration is absolutely essential. The highly frangible target bullets are as likely to blow up without getting to the vitals as they are to get into them.

Millions and millions of dollars are invested by bullet makers to come up with ideal hunting bullets and ideal target bullets. They are made differently for different applications.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.