700 ultramag to STW??

buzzgun

Trying to help a friend.....he wants a stainless left hand 700 in 7 STW (has tons of brass, dies etc)......we can get a stainless left hand 338 ultramag donor rifle cheap, but I'm wondering if the feed rails will work for the stw case or would they be too wide???

Anyone rebarreled a 700 ultramag action to a standard belted mag cartridge??

Buzz

It should work fine but if it doesent then you can go to a
Watts box Center feed that is easy to install.

But try the action with no modifications first.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, but we don't have the action and need to know before we order the donor rifle. If it won't work with the feed rails as is, we will probably try to find a donor in 300 win or 7 mag......

Back in the late 90's we built lots of them for customers.
It will work without any changes to the rails or the follower. remember that the barrel needs to be at least 26 inches to get the true benefit of the caliber. All mine have muzzle breaks so they are just under 30 inches.
The 7STW has been one of my favorites for most of 10 years even back when it was a wildcat. I used it in Alaska on browns and on caribou, in Idaho and New Mexico for Elk.

I think worst case you just get the Std Mag magazine box and follower from Remington and switch them out. The RUM case is larger in diameter and the STW might pop up too quick out of a RUM box. I would try it first, tho.

Good luck with the project, Tom

I beleive the difference between a standard belted case's belt and an RUM, WSM case wall at the head etc. is around .017". With an Ultra Mag Receiver's feed rails being at least .0085" per side larger, a standard belted case may not be held in the mag box as good?? I'd research it closley before I ordered the receiver. Thats just my .02 worth.

I'd research it closley before I ordered the receiver. Thats just my .02 worth.

That's the whole idea behind this thread.......I want to know from someone that has either done it or knows for a fact it won'r work......

Since Kirby is on the board most days, I figure he will answer if he knows......that's what this particular forum is for.....to ask gunsmithing questions....right???

buzz, guys on here are just giving your there thoughts... calm down.. If you need to know quick, pick up the phone and call Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. He can tell you.

That's the whole idea behind this thread.......I want to know from someone that has either done it or knows for a fact it won'r work......

OK, stop whining. Why don't you go to Wal-Mart or some where else and purchase one of the cheap, $350.00, 7mmRM's and use that as a donor action???? I simply gave you info I had. My concern is since the feed rails are wider on an RUM than they are on a Belted Magnum it may cause feeding problems. Just how many times has "your friend" needed a follow up shot from an STW anyway?? Lighten up, this only the internet. If the answers aren't good enough pick up the phone and make a call.

buzz, guys on here are just giving your there thoughts... calm down.. If you need to know quick, pick up the phone and call Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. He can tell you.

Calm down??? I'm not a bit excited........I simply asked a question.....why would you assume (incorrectly) that I need to calm down???

I'm sorry I didn't explain it right we built them on Remington & Sako mag actions. I still don't think you will have any problems but I know you won't if you go with a 416 mag action.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.