70 grain Hammer on big game

dogz

I've been shooting some 70 grain Hammer's out of my 23" Lilja barreled 84M in 22/50 AI.

They've been shooting very well, just seeing who has some actual experience on the with small big game like deer and lopes?

Not wishing to turn this into a thread regarding whether or not one should use a .224 on big game or not. I've been using the 22/250, Swift and 223 on game for 4 decades so I'm pretty comfy with my findings.

Honestly, would just like some real world experience with how they've worked for people on deer, lopes and black bear.

Many thanks all, it's fall bear season here and the rigs been going on some walks:)

I think most people just don't hunt big game with 22 cal bullets. There are not alot of 22 bullets constructed strong enough for big animals. Plus for long range they have little energy left. I know a few guys around me that kill deer with 223s and 22-250s and are successful. I think the all copper bullets would work very good for you. Send a pm to RockyMtnMT and ask him. He would be the one who would know.
Shep

Thanks Shep,

I'm mainly asking about the Hammer's in the .224's.

I've been using the 22/250 and Swift for big game for the last 42 years. Not really long range, mainly sub 400. I've found them to be as good as killers as one can possibly use for these ranges and especially for deer and antelope.

I've used many types of standard 55 and 60, 63 grain CNC bullets and found them totally capable and not a huge need for a hard bullet. Like clockwork the CNC's kill much quicker, albeit not any deader...and often times much quicker than most of the larger rounds. The standard 55's, 60 and 63's will generally punch thru one shoulder and exit and often times both!

Point being, I'm incredibly aware of how capable they are:)

Just been messing with Hammers as of late, and wanted to see if anyone here had experience with that particular bullet.

Many thanks for your time though

Too each his own. If you've experienced success with these calibers Great. This is a "long Range hunting forum ". Frankly, no one here who's spent a good deal of experience hunting big game could ever suggest using the calibers you mentioned for LONG RANGE BIG GAME HUNTING.

Thanks for the heads up...but from what I can tell there are many parts of this Forum that don't relate any if at all to "Long Range Hunting"... I wasn't even remotely suggesting and or asking about using these for LONG RANGE BIG GAME HUNTING!

I wasn't asking for your opinion on the use of the rounds/bullets for long range I was asking if any one had used these bullets in particular. Obviously you have not!

Bottom line, feel free not to post on this thread as you're obviously a donkey who's went to college.........

One of the bigger pigs I've seen killed (~360lbs) was killed with a Barnes 70 grain TSX from an AR, which is my least favorite hunting gun. The guy that owns the 200K acre ranch and all of his siblings shoot variants of .22 calibers( swift, cheetah, fireball, 22-250) at deer, pigs, coyotes, etc. a bit past 400 yards, they don't dial scopes so they shoot a flat, fast bullet and just hold over.

I have some 64gr Hammer Hunters on the way with this in mind as well.

I will endeavour to take pictures of the things I hit with them. I have seen the 60gr Nosler Partition punch WAY above its weight class, so my expectations are pretty high.

I haven't tried these particular bullets but if they're a mono metal bullet then I don't see why they wouldn't work.
An Army buddy of mine lives in GA and has a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel. He uses it for deer and hogs and nick named it "light switch" because they don't move after being hit. He uses the 70gr TSX.

I have seven kids and each of them shot their first big game animal with a 22 cal rifle using a 60 grain partition. 22 caliber centerfires are legal here in Arizona and a 220 swift and 22-250 are lethal medicine with the right bullet. I've never used the hammer but if you do I'd love to see the report.

Redrock--what big game have you taken with the 70's and was it out of a 22/250 or Swift?

I shot a nice mature buck two years ago with a 64gr Hammer out of a 22/243 at 3,600fps. About 90 yards. One shot, death dash for 30 yards and down for the count. It actually expanded more than I thought and made a bit more internal damage than I expected. But overall I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I loaded up the Hammers, GMX, TTSX and the Hammers shot 1/2moa with the first load so I used them over the others.