7 stw deer hunting

I agree with Wild Rose. Too tough for white tail for the most part. I've taken several with 139 gr SSTs. Dropped in their tracks. 30 yds out to 575 yds. 140-150 gr. class seems to be more than enough. I want to give the sirocco II a try next. Heard good things about them as well.

I would definitely go with heavier bullets. Velocity isn't always a good thing and so bullets will explode before penetrating. U want the bullet to penetrate then expand and sometimes less speed can help that. I would try the Berger vld hunting bullets in 180 grain.

I had similar problems with the 140 partitions and ended up after several bullet tests with the 150 grain Swift Scirocco II. I am driving them at around 3,300 fps and getting fantastic results on game from Pronghorn to heavy mule deer. These bullets seem to stay together real well even at close range and blood trails have not been a problem.

Last edited:
I had similar problems with the 140 partitions and ended up after several bullet tests with the 150 grain Swift Scirocco II. I am driving them at around 3,300 fps and getting fantastic results on game from Pronghorn to heavy mule deer. These bullets seem to stay together real well even at close range and blood trails have not been a problem.
The funniest thing I've ever seen with a Sirocco was on a buck I shot a few years ago at about 70yds.

The bullet flattened out to about the size of a half dollar and never exited but it absolutely wrecked that poor buck's innards. Everything in the chest cavity simply turned to goo.

There was an exit wound but it turned out that it was just where a good chunk of rib on the offside shattered and blew out a hole around an inch or so.

I've had very good luck with the Scirocco II in 7mm STW, 300wm, and 300Rum on thirty plus deer and a few dozen hogs including one that was over 800lbs.

My first example is the only animal I've shot with them that did not give me a nice clean through and through and that was the only bullet I ever recovered except for one of the 300wm's from this year which was a straight on chest shot and I found the bullet perfectly mushroomed in his right hip.

My one disappointment in that bullet is the fact they won't make a 165-175gr 7mm and won't make a 190-210gr 30 cal. No matter how many times you talk to them they politely say no to expanding the line.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.