7 SHERMAN HELP

Will83

I'm going to be building a 7 Max or 7 Mega. I would like to get some opinions on which would be the better build, especially from those that may have experience with both. I plan on shooting 195s for all around hunting and teaching my wife and eventually kids to shoot/hunt with. I'm not sure if they are recoil sensitive, but I hear that suppressed they are both similar recoil. It will be a 22" Benchmark CF barrel on a lone peak fuzion med or long action. I like the mega's ability to push the 195s fast, but the no fire forming or resizing of the 7 max brass. Also, if anyone has a pic of the two side by side, I would like to see it. Thank you. -Will

Not a great round to be teaching a woman and kids to shoot with. I have a 9.5# 7SS suppressed pushing a 184 @ 2838fps, and it definitely has a decent recoil impulse.

You should either put a good 5 port side brake on it, or rethink your cartridge choice for teaching kids to shoot. Last thing you want to do is put a new shooter behind a hard kicking rifle and them learn to hate it. Good way to ruin a young shooter.

And don't let people who say "mine kicks like a .243" fool you.

Why start them out on 195's? Prolly a great landing spot for any LR hunting or shooting, but why not start with a 150ish class bullet at moderate load to break it and them in… let them tell you when to go up to those round's full potential.
Either round will handle anything on NA continent, and dang sure the small non-fanged groups.

Both are great points above. I guess I've been underestimating due to people claiming such soft shooters in the 7 saum types. I should have worded my post a bit better and mentioned I would be the one shooting the 195s. And as stated above, I would definitely like the option to "load down" for the family. Do any of you know if it is possible to load down to roughly what a 7-08 would be? @lancetkenyon @Elk Fire

I loaded my 7 max down to 2600 with 190 class bullet for the first round of forming brass and breaking in the barrel. I would see if you can find some 140 Berger's to run through it with them.

Not sure what the weight of your rifle is but that will mean a great deal.

I shoot a 7 saum in a light weight hunter suppressed with 180's at 2800. While the suppressor does provide a little recoil relief it's not like that of a good brake.

If it's a light weight it will be all a the average woman or child wants and likely a tad more suppressed. You may want to try some 150s and reduced loads.

Also, take a look at the balastics of the 180s. In this class of cartridge and up to the super mags it's a real sweet spot imo.