7 saum on long action browning a bolt

howco

Have a 7 rem mag looking to do project with. I'm pretty sure the barrel is at the end of its life. Will mag box be too much of an issue to get 7saum to feed properly? I've had this rifle over 20 years, looking for thoughts. Guess I could just send it down the road if not worth the effort.

The U.S Army fields the M-24 SWS which is a Remington M700 Long Action but uses a short action box and follower for the 7.62x51 cartridge.

The M24 SWS has the "long-action" bolt version of the Remington 700 receiver but is chambered for the 7.62×51mm NATO "short-action" cartridge. The "long-action" allows the rifle to be re-configured for a dimensionally larger cartridge.

Originally the rifle was configured for the .30-06 cartridge but a lack of available ammunition stalled this and the Army selected the 7.62x51 due to time constraints in the development program.

This is a straightforward process with the Remington parts but your Browning Abolt may prove to be more difficult to modify. You can block the back of the magazine box and use a short action follower and spring but the cartridge needs those triangular cutouts in the sides of the box in order to feed the larger diameter as Remington does. The time consuming part will be the action rails and feed ramp adjustments for consistent feeding. It might not require much but then again...

In the long run it will be more expeditious to sell the Browning and buy something set up for your cartridge choice.

Regards.

I would recommend that you re barrel and chamber in a 7 Rem Mag. you already have every thing you need and there would be no modifications to the rifle other than the new barrel.

The 7 rem mag will out perform the short mags with the heaver bullets and do as well or better with the light bullets. So unless you just want a change you are better off with a 7 mag in my opinion.

The short mags have always been problematic feeding unless you go to a center feed mag box (More expense). also ammo is more costly and harder to find.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I would recommend that you re barrel and chamber in a 7 Rem Mag. you already have every thing you need and there would be no modifications to the rifle other than the new barrel.

The 7 rem mag will out perform the short mags with the heaver bullets and do as well or better with the light bullets. So unless you just want a change you are better off with a 7 mag in my opinion.

The short mags have always been problematic feeding unless you go to a center feed mag box (More expense). also ammo is more costly and harder to find.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Preach!

I appreciate the info. I don't need the 7saum, figured keeping it a 7 rem mag would be the easiest option. Some crazy reason sometimes I think about adding to the stable, but most cartridges don't kill any better than most I already have

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts