7 rum?

Seems like the " barrel burner" statement is always a thing. If you have the money which looks like you do from your profile picture then it's not. For most it's not something that happens just talked about. 6.5 lrm sounds like a screamer. Not to get off topic but what's she run

Seems like the " barrel burner" statement is always a thing. If you have the money which looks like you do from your profile picture then it's not. For most it's not something that happens just talked about. 6.5 lrm sounds like a screamer. Not to get off topic but what's she run
She'll shoot cloverleafs at 3400fps Running RL33 and 140gr Hornady Interbonds. The 132gr VLR5 prototypes I was shooting shot just as well at 3540fps with the same powder.

I could probably back it off to 3300-3350 with the 140's and never miss a thing but I've still got about fifty to shoot up first.

Next time around instead of the LRM I'll just do a straight 6.5-375 Ruger so I don't have to screw with the 7mm LRM brass or try to make my own. I have hundreds of rounds of 375 Ruger brass and it's always very easy to come by.

Here's my big issue with barrel burners. A guy can easily run through 150-200rds just breaking one in and getting the "perfect load" worked up. How many of us ever stop playing with them though when we get that "just right load"? There goes another couple of hundred rounds.

Next thing you know that real smoker has been smoked and that "once in a lifetime" rifle is just a burnt out stove pipe in a really nice stock. Then you're looking at 6 months to a year or more to get it rebarreld and easily upwards of 800.00-1,500.00 by the time you get it rebarreled and then you have to start the whole process over.

If a guy had the money I'd say build them in identical pairs so you'd always have one "ready to go" but that gets even more expensive.

@WildRose I get and agree with all your points. Only caveat is I know alot of hunters that do less than 20 rounds a year. To them its well worth it. These people also have multiple rifles. The one rifle guy should not buy a burner and too much overbore is not worth it.

For most people barrel life that short is a consideration especially for the minimal return.

Not everyone can afford the time or money to buy, load for and shoot multiple rifles in different calibers to let a real "barrel burner" rest so to speak between seasons.

The Rum was a great idea in it's time but it burned out quickly because of the high price you pay in money, components, barrels, recoil, and muzzle blast.

With all of the Rum's it's easy to find two kinds on the used market. Those that were shot less than 20 times before the owner said, "I can kill game without abusing myself", and those that are shot completely out.

If a dragster is what someone wants and they know what they are getting along with all the costs more power to them but I've seen a whole lot of guys waste a whole lot of money and then lose their butts trying to sell a "barely used" boomer that was just too much for them to handle or enjoy and even more that were badly disappointed when the rifle they spent so much money on and all the time to work up loads etc only to have it burn out ridiculously quickly.
Do you own a ultra mag ?

@WildRose I get and agree with all your points. Only caveat is I know alot of hunters that do less than 20 rounds a year. To them its well worth it. These people also have multiple rifles. The one rifle guy should not buy a burner and too much overbore is not worth it.
Ever notice wildrose is the antagonist to every thought of moving LRH forward ?
"Nope you can't do that" "back when we were pannin gold"
Dude, seriously..you, your old ways of non everything need to take a nap with yer great great grand ma..aw aw...aw.."
It's happening, you just aren't realizing it.
People want up to date go fast magnum hemi corvette v-10 live like a rock star cartridges.... better to burn out than fade away.
"Don't you know that you are a shooting star ?"
The more barrels we burn is better for the economy !
We are creating jobs as well

Last edited:
Ever notice wildrose is the antagonist to every thought of moving LRH forward ?
"Nope you can't do that" "back when we were pannin gold"
Dude, seriously..you, your ZZ Top Beard and old ways of non everything need to take a dirt nap with yer great great grand ma..aw aw...aw.."
It's happening, you just aren't realizing it. Alzheimer.
People want up to date go fast magnum hemi corvette v-10 live like a rock star cartridges.... better to burn out than fade away.
"Don't you know that you are a shooting star ?"
The more barrels we burn is better for the economy !
We are creating jobs as well

I'm a protagonist for common sense and safety. If that bothers you skip my posts.

So you don't shoot a 7 Rum!! But you are a expert on the 7 Rum barrel life?? You have a 6.5 LRM,barrel burner and that's ok.
So what does all this have to do with the OP's question?

I bought a like new inside and out Remington 700 left hand in 7 rum at a steal price with two boxes of factory ammo and found a new set of rcbs dies-shell holder for 30.00. I,m not to interested in 3400-3500 fps, but will shoot the 162 A-MAX at 3000 fps for 500 yard deer with a 6-18x target leupold scope from a good rest running clicks. 200 Y zero 9 clicks for 300 Y, 18 clicks for 400 Y, 30 clicks 500 Y. the rum cost me less that a regular 7 mag in left hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.