7 mm rem mag 140 gr Barnes TTSX load needed for DRT Deer and Hogs

QUOTE......
I have some 150gr Peregrine VLR Samples which have become my "go to bullets. In my STW the 160's being pushed with 75.6gr of RL23 printed a half inch 3 shot group for me today at 200 yds 3 separate times.

Since I went to the VRG4 and VLR I've put more than forty large hogs and deer down all with one shot kills and have yet to recover a single bullet even shooting the shoulders exceeding 400yds from my .260 and .300wm.

If you wanted to try them I'd send you some.

That may be the bullet of our dreams.... I'll PM you about those bullets Wildrose

thank you Guys for your helpful comments. My buddy and I are very good at tracking blood trails.... BUT.... if the bullet does not exit, then there is no blood to track.

My buddies 300 win mag puts every deer in the dirt.. all the time... and it blows blood out the exit side.... if tracking was needed.... so.... I'm trying to find out what bullet powder combo would make our 7 rem mags act like his 300. I was leaning towards the 120 or 140 ttsx..... but now am also thinking about the hornady 160 sst... or sierra 160 sbt... just looking for maximum DRT shocking... and possibly a blood trail on the exit side if needed.... the same thing as the 300 win mag.

thanks again Guys.
Unlike many others I'd tell you to move up in weight rather than down with monlithics. You give up about 10% BC and energy with bullets the same size due to lower density. If y you're loading a drive band bullet like the Peregrine it allows you to push them much harder due to the lower friction.

The heavier bullet moving faster just hits much harder and has the higher BC vs shooting the lighter bullet. Yes they are a good bit longer than cup and core bullets of the same weight but since they are not at all sensitive to seating depth, at least not that I've found so far loading them for five different calibers and eight different rifles.

Now everyone needs to work their own loads up carefully but when struggling to find load data for comparable bullets I've found that if I'm loading for example a 140gr 6.5 for my .260's I can look to load data for the lead core bullets in the 130gr class.

Use your own best judgement, start low and work up slow looking for pressure signs.

I've shot a few deer with Barnes out of my 300wm. The only bang flops were when I hit shoulders. Last year's deer was missing most of his heart, and the exit had 3 ribs and a softball size chunk of lung hanging out of it. The deer still went just over 50yds. I'm going to give the eldx a try this year. Might be something for you to look into. 162gr eldx would probably get you the exit you want.

I only hunt with monolithics and I'll tell you that the Barnes will definitely exit virtually all the time, giving you your exit wound for blood trail. For Maximum shock I'd drive a 120 grainer fast. I think the reason Barnes don't leave big exit holes is because they don't fragment like lead bullets do. To me I like that because it creates a dead animal with much less meat loss. But I have heard that if you drive a Barnes really fast you can blow the petals off, giving you your shrapnel and bang flop effect you desire. If you are not hunting at extended ranges, look at the 120 or I think there is a 110 you could drive REALLY fast out of a 7mmRM. I'd speculate within 300 yards you wouldn't even need to compensate for drop.

The Cutting Edge and Hammer bullets are also monolithics that are designed to fragment into large fragments on impact. Might want to give those a look

I think you are right about driving 120s hard. My buddy shoots the american factory hornady 150 sp interlocks rounds that gives him that bang flop. This whole thing has me scratching my head..... but you guys have some good information.... thanks...Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.