7 Rem. Mag. And 140 Barnes TSX..

7stw

Went to the range today with a new 7 mag, 700 LSS, that I picked up around Christmas time. Rifle has a 24 inch stainless barrel, and the "J-lock". Using the 140 TSX, and 67.5 grains of H4831, Norma once fired, neck sized brass, I fired two groups with 215 fed mag primers, and two groups with WLR primers. Both the groups with the WLR primers were much better than the mag primers. I also had loaded 3 each of 66.5 rl19, and the same bullet, with the 215' and 3 with WLR, and same load. Again, the groups with the WLR, or better put,(standard) primer, were much tighter. I have ran into this before with my 700P in 7 Mag. I am passing this along, because I know that there are a lot of us that are seeking info on 7 mags,that I thought this may be of help. There seems to be a stigma, that if it is a " mag" then you must put a mag primer in it or it wont shoot. I have dis proved this many times. Sometimes the opposite is true. I had .280 once that loved CCI 250's. Just wanted to pass this along!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulb gun) 7 STW.

I've read many times that the 7mag (and I'm guessing any other belted mag), do quite well with regular non-mag primers as it creates a less "violent" ignition and the powder burns up the column more evenly. These are not my words, just what I've heard.

I've been tempted to try non-mag primers in my 7mag but have been lucky to find excellent loads with 215Ms.

I've read many times that the 7mag (and I'm guessing any other belted mag), do quite well with regular non-mag primers as it creates a less "violent" ignition and the powder burns up the column more evenly. These are not my words, just what I've heard.

I've been tempted to try non-mag primers in my 7mag but have been lucky to find excellent loads with 215Ms.

Derek, on EVERY 7 mag that I have been involved with, when you get one that likes the standard primer, versus the mag primer, the SD, And ES drop dramatically. Well, I have seen that before as well in other calibers, but it doesn't mean that it is accurate. My sons Winchester is the same way. My 700 P is less than 10 ES. By the way, this gin loves these TSX's. These are not the TTSX. AWESOME accuracy. Need to chrono it, and shoot it at 200. Thanks.
7 STW.

I have a Ruger M77 with the tang safety that loves these bullets. I am also shooting the TSX not the TTSX. I am driving mine with CCI 250's and IMR 4831. I killed my spike elk this year with this combo at around 200 yards. Wicked mean! It is interesting sometimes what rifles prefer. I have a 220 Swift that rocks out with CCI 250's. Who would have thunk it? I have pulled down several five shot groups that measured in the .3's and it's a factory Ruger M77 MkII. All I have done to it is float the barrel. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.