Barnes TSX

col48
"we get charged for meat damage,(witch i don't agree with)but it happens all the same.personally i think it is about putting the beast down with one shot"

I would have no problem taking head shots if available with the accuracy of these bullets.
You don't pay for the head do you?? Since there is really no meat in the skull?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would anyone kindly send me a few boxes as I cant get any here in the UK untill September and then not guaranteed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifand I have a wild boar hunt booked in Turkey Sept 1st I will obviously pay all costs

[/ QUOTE ]

Ackley

have you tried, the Midway UK shop?, they advertise that the TSX is in stock.

The web address is here: http://www.midwayuk.com/index.htm

The other place to try would be York Guns who had just about all the Barnes line in stock, the last time I visited.

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]
York gun are out for another couple of months Reloading Solutions again out untill September,I havnt tried midway yet but there a dam site cheaper in the USA even with the post

I shoot the TSX in my 7-08 ackley, 280, 270wsm, 30-06, 7mm ultra, 300 ultra, and I am now working up a load for the 338 ultra.They all shoot awesome.

Predator, what loads are you loading for the 7mm RUM and 300 RUM with the TSX's? I've been looking at this bullet, but hadn't talked to anyone using them in these calibers. what kind of speed and groups are you getting? Thanks

For the 7mm Ultra: 150gr TSX, 95gr Reloader 25, 3585fps..For the 300 Ultra: 180 TSX, 96.5 Reloader 25, 3450fps.These are max loads in my guns. Start lower and work up.Accuracy on my 300 Ultra is 1/2 inch or less at 100 yards.Accuracy on my 7mm Ultra is 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch at 100 yards.I just worked up a load for my friends 300 Ultra and it was 94.5grs of Reloader 25 using the 180 TSX at 3380 fps.It shot 1 inch. Only 9 power scope. These are all 5 shot groups.

I have 2 loads for my 30-06, I don't shoot the 168 but I shoot the 150 and the 165. I just finishing up with load development for the 165 . I need to go out 1 more time to decide on what seating depth. The 165 TSX is 60gr AA4350 at 2970, 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards at this time. I had a load yesterday that shot almost 1/2 inch.. Trying to confirm load 1 more time to see if it's going to shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards.These are 5 shot groups. On the 150 Tsx I use 61gr AA4350 at 3070 1 ragged hole. 5 shot groups. These bullets are seated way out. I use a 6 inch drop funnel. Max load for both bullet weights.Start lower then work up.168 has 3 grooves and the 165 has 4 grooves.

My Dad, my buddy and I all shoot 168gr Barnes TSX bullets. My buddy and I shoot .300 win mags, and Dad a 30-06. Between this season and last season we have shot 8 deer, and 2 elk, and every animal except for one elk the bullets have passed right thru, and the animals pretty much dropped in there tracks. We recovered one bullet and it weighed 167.2 gr.
As for the pencil effect that you speak of, we shot 2 mule deer, one at 50 yards right in the boiler room, and there was about a 3/4" hole in and out, and the deer went about 10 steps, and the other one was about 150 yards on the run, and also shot in the boiler room, and there was a 1 1/2" dia in hole, and about a 3/4" exit hole, with no heart or lungs left, and this deer went about 20 steps, and every other animal was a thru and thru.
I for one do not mind paying the extra money for this premium bullet, because the bullets performs just awesome, even with the thru and thru.
The three of us have found our bullet of choice, because the bullet works just great.

If you are concerned about meat damge I would keep the speed down.

I shot a small whitetail this year and vaporized the offside shoulder (as in completely gone with small chunks and spray all over the ground) with a 338 225gr TSX impacting at about 3100Fps.

Never had it happen before but thought I would mention it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.