7 mag brass problem

New rifle? Mic the fired brass if it is over sized then check your resized brass if it is dimensions . 2 things bad dies or excessive head space. Also if you have a friend who reloads a 7mm mag ask them to resize a few pieces and see if the ring appears.also Mic the brass. Next go-no-go gauge or a gunsmith. But referred to a new gun. Had a 308 that was chambered a little large had to have the barrel replaced. Also were the primers flattened or show signs of over pressure. Neck sizing.

Is this a factory barrel? It looks like the chamber was teamed poorly and is over sized or you have a bad die.

I have had bad dies that push up a ridge like that.

As you can see there is a pronounced ring just above the belt. If I adjust the die to remove it the shoulder gets bumped .005-.006. I have read that is way too much. Solutions please? I'm about ready to pull this barrel & replace it with a non belted caliber!!! Thanks. BW

49730892_10211494388110166_2953255835268022272_n.jpg

BW64 . . . .

Your FL die is adjusted too low. It is plowing brass rearward. I've seen this many times before. Set your FL die height to bump the shoulder back .001" and no more. You may also have a die that is just too tight for your particular chamber.

Last edited:
What does the sized brass measure in reference to the fired brass? Most likely the chamber is out of spec. If the brass were reloaded 1 or 2 more times you will most likely have a case head separation. I had a 7 STW built years ago and had the same problem.

It looks like an alignment problem to me. As the ring is only on one side and it tapers off at the ends. My guess is the shell holder is not fully set in the plunger or otherwise misaligned. The case is tapered so the case can tilt in the shell holder until it bottoms out. At which point the die forces the case vertical and the case does not align with die.

As you can see there is a pronounced ring just above the belt. If I adjust the die to remove it the shoulder gets bumped .005-.006. I have read that is way too much. Solutions please? I'm about ready to pull this barrel & replace it with a non belted caliber!!! Thanks. BW

I think this is actually a pretty common issue for belted mags. Check out the collet resizing die here: http://larrywillis.com/ It's designed to address this exact issue with belted magnums, and yes it does work. Friend of mine has one and let me use it on some 7mm RM cases a year ago. Cases that I could barely get the bolt closed, and one that just wouldn't, fit beautifully. It's an extra step but doesn't take much time at all. Best part is it doesn't touch the shoulder or neck so you can still F.L. size and bump them to whatever you need.

No shell holder Coax press. The scrape does go all the way around I scraped some off with my fingernail. Bottom of die was smoothed with steel wool & polishing compound. No ridges.
BW

The Coax does have a shell holder, just not the solid type of other reloading presses. And my first thought when I read that you are using a Coax is that the shell holder is somehow misaligned.

You can turn the shell holder jaws around on the Coax. I wonder if the would make a difference? One other thing: you can turn the die in the press without making a difference in resizing depth. Have you tried that to see if the shaved spot turns with the die or stays constant relative to the shell holder?

Finally, if there is any way you can borrow someone else's resizing die of another make, I would suggest that. It will show pretty quickly if the Lee die is the culprit.

Hope I am not going in wrong direction here but I also have had problems with belted cases. Maybe this is a different situation but in my problem the chamber was "fat" at the case head end of the chamber. The belt of the case also stretched over time but not as quickly as the case just above the belt (after one firing). In time, the belt had stretched enough to crack the sizing die. I kept the necks annealed and was good on that end but the other end there was no fix except a re chamber (with possibly a floating reamer holder). Maybe a non belted case would resize fully as that belt is hard (maybe impossible) to size once it has swelled to fill the "fat" chamber.

Reread the post by Innovative again . I think it will help.
I believe that's Larry Willis!
I use the collet die as well and it works great!

Sorry, posted this before I saw the others pointing to Larry Willis. Wait, wait wait!!! It's not your die!!! Visit Innovative Technologies by Larry Willis. www.larrywillis.com
He makes a a collet for belted magnum cases - It works great!
Belted Magnum
Collet Resizing Die

"Finally a resizing die
that works on
belted magnum cases."

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.