7 mag brass problem

Make sure brass is trimmed to proper length and buy a neck sizing die. I like rcbs and forester. If this solves your problem, you will have spent under $50 and then you can purchase another fl die for when you accumulate brass from another source. Neck size your fire formed brass and it will last longer and precisely fit your chamber. All good things. Good luck. By way, if this doesn't solve problem, which I believe it will, then venture to a different press. I load and shoot lots of belted brass and have not had this happen. I have also replaced all my lee bottle neck dies with rcbs. Although I do like their pistol dies I've had lots of problems with their rifle dies.

I have seen that exact marking , it came from my Lee die as well, tried a loading buddies RCBS fl die , changed that Lee die for an RCBS die , never had a problem after that . Just my two cent

Fired brass is .516-.517. New brass is .513. Looks like oversize chamber. Had this in 6.5 CM with a Mcgowen barrel. Sent it back & they replaced it. All's well.

BW

Well I'm trying to get opinions before I go & spend a ton of money trying different dies. This is my first venture into belted cartridge & it sucks!

BW
Yeah, belted cases can be a pain in the arse. It's intended use was not for sharp shoulder bottle neck designs. Since you've already sent the barrel back to X-Caliber, we'll all wait to see the results?! I recently got a barrel from them, after having used Shilen's and couldn't be more pleased with mine. Good luck

There's an outfit in FL that sells a die, IIRC its called a bump die to remove that ring, others have had that problem. A different brand of die may solve the problem as well.

OK After all the replies I stopped shipment. As soon as the "owner" of postnet decides to come in I can get the barrel back & try some of your suggestions. Waiting...………………………….

BW

Sorry, posted this before I saw the others pointing to Larry Willis. Wait, wait wait!!! It's not your die!!! Visit Innovative Technologies by Larry Willis. www.larrywillis.com
He makes a a collet for belted magnum cases - It works great!
Belted Magnum
Collet Resizing Die

YEP that's the one. Ive never had that problem but this is the cure for those who have

As you can see there is a pronounced ring just above the belt. If I adjust the die to remove it the shoulder gets bumped .005-.006. I have read that is way too much. Solutions please? I'm about ready to pull this barrel & replace it with a non belted caliber!!! Thanks. BW

49730892_10211494388110166_2953255835268022272_n.jpg
I reload 7mm in many varieties 7 STW, 7 RM, 7RUM. To me it looks like one of two problems; first if it is Nosler brass I have received two batches of bad brass that were not concentric that caused a similar issue! Second not sure what does you use but that is the most likely issue! Borrow someone else's dies and try that!

As several have noted I too have used and I found the perfect solution from Innovative Technologies. It is a resizer that removes the ring above the belt.
I have solved this on all my magnum calibers .264, .300, .338 , .375. I f you read the information on Larry's website you should get the your answer your looking for.

As you can see there is a pronounced ring just above the belt. If I adjust the die to remove it the shoulder gets bumped .005-.006. I have read that is way too much. Solutions please? I'm about ready to pull this barrel & replace it with a non belted caliber!!! Thanks. BW

Look at www.larrywillis.com, they have a belted magnum collect sizing die that may take care of your problem. I say may because I haven't inspected all the elements associated with your cases. I use this die on my .300 WM and have zero problems after several loading's, 5, of the same brass. Belted mag cases tend to develop a ring or excess brass just above the belt. This usually occurs because full length dies don't size all the way down to the belt.

Like the other replies, I have loaded many 7mag rounds over the years & have no problems. Not sure what type of dies you are using but I have had problems with several dies over the years most the outside diameter threads are not concentric with die body causing various types of problems including, but not limited to, rounds chamber hard. It might be the way the cases are shown in the pic but it looks like the "ring" above the base is not concentric all the way around the case. I would contact the die manfacturer & let them know what the issue are and/or simply invest in another set of dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.