7 mag brass problem

I could mail you a couple of brass fired in a factory stock Rem 700 from the 1980s. Sold the gun years ago, but still have a few hundred brass.
Thank you but I just spoke to X Caliber & I'm sending it back for i

If you get no marks, then it's likely the rifle. If you do get marks, then it's likely the die.

PM me your address if you want to try it.

Had the exact same thing happen to me with one of my belted mags. I was using Weatherby brass and all was good. Came to a point where I had to buy brass and I bought some Federal nickle plated brass and ran into this very same problem. When I adjusted the die down enough to easy chamber I began having case seperations. When I re-adjusted to get .002-.003 shoulder bump the problem came back. I switched back to Weatherby/Norma brass and the problem went away. I really don't know the cause, maybe a batch of soft brass, not sure. Does this happen to you with different lots of brass
First batch of Win brass

BE

had the exact same thing with a Remington rifle in 7rm using Norma brass---it did not happen with win. or hor. brass, only the Norma brass---I also tried 3 different dies (rcbs, hornady, and redding)--all FL dies pushed some of the brass back towards the belt and made a ring just like your pic shows

the LW body die fixed my problems-- he suggest using a FL size die first, then his body die, BUT I have found it to work better the other way, use his body die first-then the FL die --I have to use his body die about every 3rd firing to bring the area above the belt back down so it will chamber (not needed every time though)--only on the norma brass

--My chamber is within saami specs (had a chamber cast done) and so are my dies and I load to below book max with no pressure signs--some guys will swear that in order to have to use the LW body die that something is out of spec or over pressure BUT I found that I only need it with the Norma brass so I have come to the conclusion that it has to be something with the norma brass in my situation (most likely the norma brass is softer and the dies push some bock towards the belt) I have tried 3 dies, multiple types of brass, and several types of lube and came down to having the LW body die fix my problem

had the exact same thing with a Remington rifle in 7rm using Norma brass---it did not happen with win. or hor. brass, only the Norma brass---I also tried 3 different dies (rcbs, hornady, and redding)--all FL dies pushed some of the brass back towards the belt and made a ring just like your pic shows

the LW body die fixed my problems-- he suggest using a FL size die first, then his body die, BUT I have found it to work better the other way, use his body die first-then the FL die --I have to use his body die about every 3rd firing to bring the area above the belt back down so it will chamber (not needed every time though)--only on the norma brass

--My chamber is within saami specs (had a chamber cast done) and so are my dies and I load to below book max with no pressure signs--some guys will swear that in order to have to use the LW body die that something is out of spec or over pressure BUT I found that I only need it with the Norma brass so I have come to the conclusion that it has to be something with the norma brass in my situation (most likely the norma brass is softer and the dies push some bock towards the belt) I have tried 3 dies, multiple types of brass, and several types of lube and came down to having the LW body die fix my problem
So if I use the fl die first & it pushes the brass how does the LW die fix that? I read his instructions & reread it & it still doesn't make sense.

BW

OK So I went out & fired 3 rounds. The area above the belt measures .516 & SAMI calls for .513. So is the chamber oversize by .003?? I thought there were allowable tolerances.
BW

OK So I went out & fired 3 rounds. The area above the belt measures .516 & SAMI calls for .513. So is the chamber oversize by .003?? I thought there were allowable tolerances.
BW
.5136 is MInimum chamber dimensions per saami drawing and you can add .002" for allowable tolerances so max is .5156.

Also if your once fired brass is .516" your chamber is probably over max as brass rarely grows to full chamber dimensions in 1 firing

Sounds like an actual chamber cast might be in order to check things out

Last edited:
Hi
.5136 is MInimun chamber dimensions per saami drawing and you can add .002" for allowable tolerances so max is .5156.

Also if your once fired brass is .516" your chamber is probably over max as brass rarely grows to full chamber dimensions in 1 firing

Sounds like an actual chamber cast might be in order to check things out
Well that just sucks!!

I load and use LOTS of belted mags, even for F-Class 'cause when things ain't broke........., and I section every case that comes into my hands.
Norma have the thinnest webs of all brands of brass, this is where the 'bulge' is at it's worse. Norma brass ends the web right where the belt ends, so the expansion line is right at the belt............BAD!!!!

Now, Winchester and Herter brass have the thickest webs and end the web .080" or more above the belt, it's easy to size and doesn't 'bulge'.

OP, your problem looks to be a chamber issue that is allowing the brass to expand too much.
I would neck size a case and fire it 3 times and measure the belt, the expansion ring and .200" above the belt.
I do not think a die swap is going to fix this issue.
I have seen this same thing once before and it was due to an oversized chamber that was cut with a .003" off centre reamer.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.