7 mag 162 eldx seating distance

cajun

How far off the lands are you shooting the Hornady 162 eldx? The Hornady book coal is 3.235. Thats a long ways from 3.400 which is where mine is hard in the lands lol.

for me they shot best at 0.030 off. Given that, they shot really tight about anywhere between 0.020 and 0.080 off before opening up a little. Didn't try any closer than 0.020 as it was for hunting purposes. Could be wildly different for your rifle, you'll just have to test. But 0.020 is a good place to start.

Thanks. I've run a pressure ladder and some initial group testing at about.040 off. Not bad but need some data. I was just a little surprised to see Hornadys load so short. Thinking maybe these might like a serious jump. In 6.5 creed with the 143 eldx I think it's .040 off. But Hornadys coal is right at saami 2.810.

In my 7mm rem 700 I had jam at 3.439 with the 162 eldx. I started .015 off and worked down until decent groups then back and forth in about a .005 span. Didn't really start getting good groups until about 3.400 it shot .52-.6" but at 3.398 groups are .22-.29, 3.397 was .32-.42.my best groups came 3.398. So about .041 off jam. I stopped there after running 5 different 3 shot groups on 3 different days between .038-.044. Really another rabbit hole to climb down that's for sure. Especially when your rifle allows you to seat bullets at longer lengths and you're not hampered by mag length.

I wouldn't pay too much mind to the SAAMI coal. Weatherbys often jump 1/4" 🤣
Yeah I get it. It's just Hornadys 3.235 seems odd. Here you have this long *** bullet and your seating it almost to the ogive. The bullet is seriously stuffed in the case.

Yeah I get it. It's just Hornadys 3.235 seems odd. Here you have this long *** bullet and your seating it almost to the ogive. The bullet is seriously stuffed in the case.
The best thing to do is start at at jam length and come down in 10 thou increments till you get the best results, it's easy to do if you have a micrometer seater die.The only trouble you can get is if your gun is Mag fed and your best results are over Mag length.

Actually at the range on our property now. .060 looks good so far. Still have some powder tweaking to do as well.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/04/05/bullet-jump-load-development-data/ Here's something I read a while back and either it's coincidence or I believe it into exsistence, but ,050-060 for eldm's and eldx's in several rifles of different calibers have all shot well in this range.
I was going to mention the same reference. Also what the Hornady boys are saying on their podcast. At this point I really don't know if my small sample size testing has yielded anything meaningful. I could have just been playing in the noise of small sample size statistical white noise🤷🏻‍♂️