ELDx seating depth. 7mm Mag

thaught

LRH Team Member
Is there a sweet spot for loading these? I loaded a few different lengths and they didn’t shoot well. I started .050” off the lands and went from there. Do they prefer to be seated closer to the lands?

jimbires

I didn't mess much with them . this is the only target I can find that I saved . this would be from a 260 rem . by the looks of this target you want to go closer .

Attachments

Kmccord

You should try Berger's VLD seating test to find your seating. I would start at the minimum powder load for your given powder and run the VLD test to find the correct seating. I did one two weekends ago for a Bergara B14 HMR in 7mm Rem Mag, followed the recommended seating depth for Hunting and found the seating depth the rifle likes at .050 off the lands. Now I am in the process of fine tuning it to see if it can improve from .550 4 shot group. Give it a try, it should work for you.

aushunter1

I start all my loads the same way no matter what projectile it is.
And that is at 10thou off the lands, I go through the charge range & find the best group.
I then change the CBTO to 5thou, 15th & 20thou.
I have never had to go any further/deeper into the case before finding the right depth, even with Berger VLD's.

dtt0862

I’m seating the 162 ELD-X .060 off the lands in my Tikka T3X 7mm Rem Mag. Getting .4 to .7 3 shot groups with H4831. Still working on it.

Robby20

I have mine seated at .050, shoots .7 three shot group but that's the longest that will fit in the magazine box. Older savage 111, ADG brass, 66.5 grains Retumbo, 2980fps. I still working on my load.

Aussie Hunter Steve

I’m my 7RM I have them really close to the lands for best results, but a mate found his 7mm08 liked them about .150” off the lands. Suck it n see...

Deviant

Is there a sweet spot for loading these? I loaded a few different lengths and they didn’t shoot well. I started .050” off the lands and went from there. Do they prefer to be seated closer to the lands?
.065 was the sweet spot for me.
20200104_131824.jpg

Mc Fraser

I use the 200gr ELDX in my 300wm half MOA seated as per reloading books 3.340?? i believe it is

vancewalker007

Don't know about the 7mm, but the 6.5s in my PRC like 20 off and closer.

Scposey

I have been shooting these bullets in my sons 6.5/284 as well 300 wsm for hunting. My wsm seems to like them about 10 off. The 6.5 seems to be just about touching. I don’t have a photo of the eldx groups that we have shot but the group that I am showing a photo of is a 5 shot group that my son shot off a bipod at 100 yds. I can say this that the 143 eldx shoots nearly the same. Last year before we went out west my son had his 6.5/284 at the 1000 yd club and shot it off the bench with a bipod and rear bag and he busted a clay bird at approximately 1034 yds on the first shot and then he went to a paper target at 1000 yds and shot 1 shot and was 4” left of the x ring.

Attachments

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce