7.82 warbird custom

haffyti839

Interested in thoughts on a custom build chambered in lazz 7.82 warbird..
Thoughts and hands on encouraged

Sounds great. I assume you are thinking long range hammer? Whatever you do go with a 10 twist barrel. Dont do the 12.. I'd go with a Mcmillan A5 or HTG, med palma barrel, custom action of choice. Like everything with the Lazzeroni it will be expensive...

I'll be watching this closely as I'm trying to decide what to do with my Sako Warbird. I'm either going to sell it or go new barrel and stock. I do love the rifle and cartridge..

My main concern would be the quality, and avialability, of the brass. I have absolutely no experience with any of the Lazz cartridges, but I have heard the brass isn't very good. If I'm wrong, it should be quite the rifle. Good luck.

Jarhead,

Your concerns are valid. The first maker of Lazz brass was not great. However now Hornady is making their brass and to me its very good quality. I haven't had any problems with what I've used.

Split necks on first firing.. loose primer pockets after 1st firing. Not good. Like I said though the brass now works as it should

I used to have a Warbird and sold it due to poor quality brass. My friend who is a very knowledgeable long range shooter had the 8.59 Titan. Same problem, poor brass. I talked to Lazz and they said Hornady is making the brass. We ordered new brass and the primer would fall out on brand new unfired brass. They said I was loading them too hot and I told them this was new brass. They didn`t believe me and hung the phone up. Hornady brass will not handle magnum pressure. Even the Hornady 338 Lapua brass sux. Go with the 300 Norma or 300 Lapua. You will thank me later.

The 7.82 Warbird cartridge has all the performance anybody would ever need from a 30 cal and is very accurate but suffers for several reasons, as mentioned ... poor to bad quality but expensive brass, not a good combo... and you cannot make brass from any other existing cartridges other than necking down other Lazzeroni cartridges which is the same stuff !

With the old Lazz brass made by Mast Technologies, in order to match Lazz listed velocity of 3550 fps with a 180 gr bullet you sacrifice your brass to two firings and pockets got loose, I remedied that by coating my bullets with WS2 tungsten and my brass lasts a few more firings, if you keep your loads in the 3300 fps 300 RUM arena the brass lasts up to 5-7 firings if you started with new brass.

I have no experience with the new Warbird brass made by Hornady but from what I have heard it isn't that great either

My brother ended up rechambering his Sako TRGS to the 30-378 WBY simply because factory loaded ammo and brass is available on store shelves locally, which cleaned out the Warbird chamber nicely without setting the bbl back
we have worked up loads using the same powders, primers and bullets in WBY Norma made brass and matched Warbird velocity with a bit more powder but not the accuracy and so far with two firings pockets are still tight, unsure of how pockets will hold up from the known to be soft Norma brass
that basically leaves us in the same situation other than locally available brass and ammo

My 2 Sako m995 TRGS Warbirds ?
they have become organ donors for my 375 Mjolnir and 338 Wolverine projects

If Mr. Lazzeroni would please have Bertram ( like Shawn Carlock did for the 338 Edge) or Jamison make some good quality brass for his Warbird it would make the bird fly like it should !

Swamplord,

Is your brother happy he rechambered his to 30 378? Or would he rather have gone with something else?

I'm trying to decide what to do with mine now..

I been shooting my firebird since '01 if I recall correct, and I shoot it alot... favorite rifle/caliber (hands down) I've found that prep on your part will enhance that brass' life and consistency in the loads an awful-lot.. but it's definitely nerving such attention is required considering the price you gotta pay to start with, the prepping should be done in the first place/like lapua does for example* Person can understand the price when there's something significant worth paying for.

Maybe someone important will read this and make improvements from here-on for us Lazzeroni loaders* Suggestion: Anneal, flash-hole debur, primer-pocket uniform, weight sort... all before it's boxed. THAT would make it worth the price premium we're stuck paying. Be much appreciated.

I've personally invested in an annealer and with-that do see a HUGE difference since using it.. brass has a much softer & mellower feel when sizing, more consistent seating, and I've seen my ES dropped 10-15fps on variation which I believe was coming from hardening necks* ...I honestly believe the annealing should just'about double my case life from here as well (and justify the cost of the annealer-machine in the first place) But in all honesty, like I said, this sorta thing should be included from the beginning-- especially in hot, heavy, high capacity casings like these* Lapua's been doing it (all) from the get-go(believe Norma as well..) AND you'd think the other "guys" would have caught on to why their brass is as good and as respected as it is* Or at least had tried making an attemt to mimmick their quality as best they can..! ---I would !!!!

Those few little things would make it alot easier on us-guys buying and using the stuff to justify paying for and continuing with it, when there is extra effort put toward things like (the brass for this example) lightbulb

I hope the right "powers that be" take note of what we're asking.. it isn't asking for more than what "others" are doing. Can't see why it couldn't be done in Lazzeroni's case too. It probably keep a few more guys shooting these calibers**

Swamplord,

Is your brother happy he rechambered his to 30 378? Or would he rather have gone with something else?

I'm trying to decide what to do with mine now..

We only had a month before moose hunting season in 2012, a bit of research and I found that only two cartridges would clean up the Warbird chamber without setting the barrel back, my smith informed me that he wasn't able to do the metric threading the Sako came in , That eliminated the 300 Lapua and any Improved variants as they would require setting the barrel back before rechambering

the two choices we had for simple rechamber , confirm headspace and go were the 30-378 WBY and the 300 Pegasus,

my smith had the 30-378 Wby reamer in his shop so
the obvious choice was the WBY + due to availability of brass and ammo , my brother does not reload and I do all the reloading for him but was unable to because of work out of town, he bought a couple boxes of Weatherby factory ammo with the 180 gr Accubond, 3 shot groups provided the famous WBY 1.5" at 100 yards guarantee and he was set for moose hunting ( factory ammo was not chronographed)

He ended up taking a nice 61 1/4" spread bull moose I called in to 120 yards and intends to keep the WBY chamber

Now if you completely rebarrel the Sako M995 you have a lot of options, any caliber on the 338 Norma, 338 Lapua case or the 378 Wby case , 338 Excalibur and 300 Pegasus ...

You also have 4 new options ! my 4 wildcats based on papa Jeffery,
hey y'know , the 300 Werewolf will easily clean up a Warbird chamber and the Jamison brass is pretty darn good stuff these days , can you imagine a 230 gr Berger at 3500 fps ???

That sounds great in theory but I can't imagine what the recoil is like.. I'll pm you. Don't want to hijack

Maybe i just lucked out with the warbird brass i had but i shot 150 gr. Accubonds at 3650 is what my chrono said had 4 to 5 loadings on that brass. Is it expensive to buy brass, yes but its unique and i like stuff that isnt found on every shelf. The performance i found with the warbird was outstanding. Accuracy was easily achieved and the performance on animals was like no other. My friend has a 30-378 and he is going to go to the warbird no knock on the 30-378 its awesome. Just my opinion. Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts