7-308

SSTX

I recently "inherited" a set of Bonanza dies marked 7-308, which I believe was the wildcat designation of the 7mm-08 before Remington adopted it as a commercial cartridge. The dies had previously been used to load commercial Remington brass (which I also received a lot of). My question, is there any substantial difference between 7-308 and 7mm-08? I know that Bonanza is the forerunner to Forster, and the dies are good quality. I'd like to use them if possible. Now all I need is a rifle chambered in 7mm-08!

Stu

I recently "inherited" a set of Bonanza dies marked 7-308, which I believe was the wildcat designation of the 7mm-08 before Remington adopted it as a commercial cartridge. The dies had previously been used to load commercial Remington brass (which I also received a lot of). My question, is there any substantial difference between 7-308 and 7mm-08? I know that Bonanza is the forerunner to Forster, and the dies are good quality. I'd like to use them if possible. Now all I need is a rifle chambered in 7mm-08!

Stu

Egads! No 7-08? Get one. Much fun. Guaranteed. Now you can sell your man bun.

Just noticed you're in Tyler. My in-laws live in Avinger. 😁

BTW, RL15 and a 120 Barnes TSX or TTSX generate a wicked load. Maximum leakage on both sides when used on whitetails, mule deer and other like sized animals.

It's a small world! Those are fine rifles you mentioned. I had an original Mountain Rifle that came from a gun store off Garland Road in Dallas around 1990, but it was in .270 and had more recoil than I liked. Should have rebarreled it to 7mm Mauser. I have a short action 700 BDL, currently with an unknown round count Shilen barrel in .257AI that I'm considering changing to 7mm-08. I'm the only reloader in the family, and I want whoever ends up with it after I'm gone (way in the future) to be able to use factory ammo. I think a fresh barrel with a threaded muzzle for a suppressor is just the ticket.

That BDL would work perfectly. Believe it or not I sold a 700 MR in 7x57 about 6 months ago. Bought it around 1990 (used). Sold it for 2x what I paid for it. Now I have a couple of BACO Model 70's in 7x57, a highly customized 1936 Mexican mauser in 7x57 left.