308win to 7-08AI

308win

Just looking for any advice on taking 308win cases (Lapua, neck turned to .013 and annealed) to 7-08AI?

Being that I have already annealed prior to resizing, should I anneal again prior to fireforming?

I plan on shooting 140gr flatbase bullets jammed to fireform. I'm not sure I'm on board with the COW method because of the case stretch? For those of you that have done the COW, have you experienced this?

Any other suggestions on this process would be appreciated as this is my first venture into AI.

Also, what are the recommendations for dies? Should I go full length Type S or go neck size Type S with body die? I've heard that I need to just neck size for the first 3 firings?

Part 2 of this question.

Should I resize using a standard 7-08 die or can I use a neck die for the 7-08AI? Does it make a difference either way?

I would use the AI die set so there is pressure to close it that way you work the brass less. It should chamber 7mm-08 and fire it without the need to make a false shoulder if set up correctly. I have a 260AI that was chambered a bit long so i have to fireform in the lands or set up a false shoulder like necking down 308 to form cases.

Your brass should fire form to 7/08 once you neck it down from 30 to 28. I like to jam my bullet to help hold the brass still.
As for dies - that's personal preference. I moved to Type S Fl bushing dies years ago and that's all I use. Like being able to adjust neck tension.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.