7-08 Help

For some reason 7-08 is tricky to reload for if you go too heavy on projectiles. It is a smaller case. I would start low node area with slowest powder.
Keep all your brass same head stamp at least. Pick a bullet that goes to sleep fast. Flat base is probably best in this situation. Note the difference between your first shot of the day and a quick follow-up shot. Really let the barrel cool and repeat. What better way to spend a nice spring day.? Keep the sun on you. But not on the ammo.
Throw some rocks.

In 3 different 7mm/08's (24" barrel) that i've owned with the 145gr Speer SBT I have gotten slightly over 2900 ft/sec with max loads of WW 760, 2992 ft/sec with max load of H-100V and slightly over 3000 ft/sec with StaBal. H-100V is an often overlooked powder for the 7/08 but works real good for velocity and accuracy in the 140-160 gr bullet class. JME

FWIW, I run 162 ELDMs exclusively in my 7mm08. It becomes much more than a whitetail cartridge at that point. Please look at the ballistics pushing it at 2600 to 2700 FPS ( I'm at 2738) makes it lethal out to 850+ ....ask me how I know!

Also look up Nathan Foster's writing on the 7mm08 he really has a lot of knowledge on many calibers and bullet selection.

word of caution : if you go with too fast of a MV ( 280 or 7RM speeds) with that bullet you'll have to let the animal get out about 200 yards or so. At 2600-2700 its good right out the gate.

ps I run 40.6 grains Varget, an OAL of 2.940 with CCI 250s and Lapua brass .3's all day long with an ES 7

Last edited:
I never could find a load for my rem 7. The best I could find is IMR 4350 and it just didn't do so well consistently. But Hornady superformance ammo shoots MOA which is as good as I can get.

46 grains of 4350 with 139 interbonds is a great combo. Deadly on deer or bear. Couldn't get 120s NBT to group
my wife has shot big game with 7mm-08 for 20 plus years using This Almost Identical Load H4350 or H414 and 139gr. iterbonds !!! Works Great !

I've been using a Barnes 120 TTSX in front of 47
GR of IMR 4350 for deer sized game and it has worked pretty well. Wound channel is 3 to 5" thru the animal on a broadside shot. I've shot a few bucks with partitions and they looked like a grenade went off and in some cases I've lost 1/3 of the meat even tho only a rib was hit on the way in. My 7-08 chronos over 3050 FPS with this recipe. and groups under an inch.

The common thread here seems to be that the 7mm-08 is a very versatile cartridge, and any reasonable powder within a fairly broad range of burning rates will be well digested. 120- to 150-grain look like the best choices, and some guys even liked the 160-162's. Due to the limited case capacity, anything heavier probably won't go very fast, due to the slow & bulky powders required for the heavies not working with the limited case capacity of the cartridge. I didn't see that anybody mentioned using drop-tubes or case vibration to get more of the slower powders into the case, and that might help a little, but it would probably still max out with the 4350's the slowest really useful powder.

I never could find a load for my rem 7. The best I could find is IMR 4350 and it just didn't do so well consistently. But Hornady superformance ammo shoots MOA which is as good as I can get.
No I have not, but I've tried the 168gr Classic Hunters with 43.5gr of H4350 and GM210M. I get consistent 0.5" groups. Don't know the speed yet but provably around 2,575 fps.
Give the Hornady Eldx a try, my wife's Tikka sure liked it! It's the 150grn and the box states 2770fps.

I would use H4350 over IMR. Seems to meter better. I'm pretty sure that 4895 will do the trick also,but ir you have more 4350 I'd try that first. The 140 BT should be a good choice.

BD696C9B-6AEB-41E2-809A-4C795F593DBE.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.