7-08 Ackkey Improved?

Get her, a 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot, the 130- 135's it's Plenty for, Elk sized animals, to 400 Yards.
Try, a 24" barreled, Tikka T-3 X and put some, 135 grain Classic Hunters or, 130 gr. HVLD's in,.. IT !
One of, the BIGGEST Desert Bulls, killed in Idaho was by, one of the Hushin, young Ladies at, 350 ish with,.. ONE, Shot !
The 7mm-08 or AI with, 160-168's, HAS too much Recoil for, MOST Women to shoot,.. "well" !
IF, I didn't already have, a good, Elk / Deer Rifle,.. I'd buy one, myself !

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I am still torn, the wife is still getting used to not shooting my 18lb 6.5x47, which has very little recoil. The 7-08 is a Rem 700 SPS with the R3 recoil pad, but she is still getting her head around holding the rifle because the 6.5 is used as a free recoil shooting system, you just squeeze the trigger essentially.
She wants to hunt by stalking and this was the only option I could come up with.
So far, as long as she holds the gun tight, she is doing well, but the recoil is still a thing she needs to work on, she doesn't flinch, I tested her on that with me loading the rifle with ammo and sometimes without.
Anyway, I still need some words of encouragement.

Cheers.
I just built a 7-08ai for myself but my 8 year old daughter already claimed it. I love the lack of case stretch and I do get a slight velocity bump. I'm getting 2980fps with a 140 Absolute Hammer and it's sub .5 MOA very easily.

For the kids I developed a light load with 113 grain sledge hammer with a light charge of IMR4166. It shoots .25 MOA at 2730 FPS with very little recoil. Like .243 win recoil.

The 120gr Ballistic Tips you have do a great job on deer. I like them because they don't fragment on impact, they hold together very well and cause serious damage. I don't remember what powders you have access to, but IMR-4064, Varget, H4895 and RL17 work great with it. This is the go to load for my wife for deer and where we hunt it's good out to 500 yds. When hunts with a Rem 700 SPS Buckmasters and it weights 10.5 lbs.

Maybe I missed it, but why not use a muzzle brake? Paired with the 120gr Ballistic Tip load I am sure she'll be happy.

Get her, a 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot, the 130- 135's it's Plenty for, Elk sized animals, to 400 Yards.
Try, a 24" barreled, Tikka T-3 X and put some, 135 grain Classic Hunters or, 130 gr. HVLD's in,.. IT !
One of, the BIGGEST Desert Bulls, killed in Idaho was by, one of the Hushin, young Ladies at, 350 ish with,.. ONE, Shot !
The 7mm-08 or AI with, 160-168's, HAS too much Recoil for, MOST Women to shoot,.. "well" !
IF, I didn't already have, a good, Elk / Deer Rifle,.. I'd buy one, myself !
Already have a 6.5x47 Lapua. She started shooting with that and a 25-06.
She can't pack those rifles, they're too heavy for her.

Cheers.

The 120gr Ballistic Tips you have do a great job on deer. I like them because they don't fragment on impact, they hold together very well and cause serious damage. I don't remember what powders you have access to, but IMR-4064, Varget, H4895 and RL17 work great with it. This is the go to load for my wife for deer and where we hunt it's good out to 500 yds. When hunts with a Rem 700 SPS Buckmasters and it weights 10.5 lbs.

Maybe I missed it, but why not use a muzzle brake? Paired with the 120gr Ballistic Tip load I am sure she'll be happy.
No IMR powder here.
I chose the Ballistic Tips because I knew they would work. I also have 2 boxes of the 150g Ballistic Tips, these would be more suited for our Sambar deer, but the 120's with good shot placement will work.
I will build her up to the 150's.
I could install a brake, but she doesn't like the muzzle blast as it is now.

Looks like I have lots of time, they have extended lockdown again with no end in sight before Xmas.

Cheers.

G'day all.
Been pondering whether to chamber the wife's 7-08 to the Ackley?
I really dislike the 20° shoulder already, so I'm thinking of going to AI to reduce case stretch as the brass has already grown after one sizing.
Apart from the small gain in velocity and reduced case stretching, is it a worthwhile endeavour?
I have a 22-250AI, 257 BobAI and 375 Bee which all need fireforming, as does my 338-416 Rigby Improved, but most of the forming with that is done hydraulically.
So forming cases is no big deal, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing so?

Cheers.
What are the plans for this rifle? Target, hunting (what game?) long range, it would be helpful to have some idea for what the rifle will be used for. There are a number of cartridges out there that "might" fit what you want to use this rifle for that do not need fire forming.

What are the plans for this rifle? Target, hunting (what game?) long range, it would be helpful to have some idea for what the rifle will be used for. There are a number of cartridges out there that "might" fit what you want to use this rifle for that do not need fire forming.
Have already outlined it's use.
Stalking and long range hunting within the capabilities of both rifle and my wife.
She shoots with me in Hunter Class to 600 metres and is quite good at it.
We shoot over packs mostly. I do take a bi-pod but we're not necessarily in a situation to install it 9/10.
If we setup my LR rifles, she is quite capable off a bi-pod and rear bag. The aim here is to get her ready for a NZ Elk next year, ranges vary quite a bit, my last was shot from 25 metres. Prior to this, nothing was taken inside 450.

Cheers.

One of my best buddies just re-barreled his older Rem 7mm-08 to a 35 degree Ackley. He loves it! Shoots 120gn bullets with R17 and Win primers. Shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yds. Very mild recoil!