6mm Sierra 110gr Matchking...

wilkup

as a hunting bullet?
Just curious if it performs as well in flesh and bone as it seems to do on the range.

At the velocity you want to shoot it at, it might!:D
Haha
I'm also curious if there's any Creedmoor, Lapua, SLR, etc guys running it for hunting though. Figure if they get positive performance on game with them, I should be good to go as long as the bullet doesn't tear itself apart.

I'm going to say no. It's virtually a closed tip. I've only shot rock chucks with them and will only continue to varmint hunt with them. I've gone away from Berger mostly but the highest bc hunting option is the Berger 105 vld hunting which I'll use. I know you are looking at pushing them like a laser beam and are concerned if the jackets will hold up.
I haven't got around to ordering any of these yet but you may want to give the owner a call and talk to him about his offerings and your rifle specs/estimated speed. He makes a 125 grain 6mm and you can specify the ogive base and meplat diameter.
http://www.precisionballisticsllc.com/products.html
Just a thought...

If those big bullets shoot well it sounds like you can have them make the meplat any size you want so you could have some made with closed tip for target to give you a better bc and .040 open for hunting. For speed and bc the 105 nosler rdf is very appealing. I have some but haven't shot them yet since I have a 500 count of the 110s. The rdf are supposed to be accurate for bc which is new for nosler haha

If those big bullets shoot well it sounds like you can have them make the meplat any size you want so you could have some made with closed tip for target to give you a better bc and .040 open for hunting. For speed and bc the 105 nosler rdf is very appealing. I have some but haven't shot them yet since I have a 500 count of the 110s. The rdf are supposed to be accurate for bc which is new for nosler haha
If they shot well, a 125gr going 3250+ fps would be pretty sweet for hunting, especially if the BC was close to or even higher than the Sierra. I don't know if that's possible looking at the bullet though.

They look like they have a long bearing surface but I still think they would be better for barrel life too. I don't know but if I Had to guess they probably have a bc closer to the 115 Berger. The 110 is in a class all of its own from the numbers. G1 of 617 is huge! When I rebarrel my 6mm Ackley I'll do a 7 or 7.5 so I can shoot some heavies. I put a 4 groove 7.5 twist Krieger on my dasher and it's been great.

20180106_095043.jpg
20180106_095014.jpg
20180106_094949.jpg

They look like they have a long bearing surface but I still think they would be better for barrel life too. I don't know but if I Had to guess they probably have a bc closer to the 115 Berger. The 110 is in a class all of its own from the numbers. G1 of 617 is huge! When I rebarrel my 6mm Ackley I'll do a 7 or 7.5 so I can shoot some heavies. I put a 4 groove 7.5 twist Krieger on my dasher and it's been great.
Yea... maybe I'll just push the Sierra at warp speed. Their similar 183gr Matchking has been piling up game pretty reliably. Hopefully Hammer can put together something for me too. I just wanna have options.

That's good to hear. I haven't seen any threads on here that I recall with the 183 and game dropping.
Me either, but I'd sure like to! I have a .243 with a 9 twist so I can't shoot the 110gr Sierra. I do manage to use the 105gr Hornady HPBT in it though. I'm putting together a 7mm Rem Mag with an 8 twist barrel and the 183gr Sierra and the 180gr ELD-M are my top two initial picks for load developement.

Been asking about the 110gr Matchking various places and it would seem it's been putting together quite a resume as a big game killer. One and done on deer, black bear and even elk! And no one is coming close to the speeds I'm hoping to launch it to :D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.