6mm Rem best powder and barrel length

scpaul

Bear in mind that this depends on another 6mm Rem test that I've got to do first.
What would you expect to be the best 6mm bullet, barrel length, and powder for accuracy and long range hunts (500 max probably) unless I get a big surprise.Barrel length not a real problem because being shot from elevated box blinds.
Paul

I have been a long time rem 700 varmint 26 inch 9 1/8 twist. I added a 2 inch brake. I have some 28 and 30 inch rifles. I've never shot anything lighter than 72 and 72's just for testing.

When you get into limited barrel life I might test 10 powders and just settle into the best velocity and accuracy which is something less that max loading. I also settle in at more even numbers like 3200 fps for ease on ballistic charts.

I've taken some nice antelope way out there with 100's and only us 87's on varmints. I've had good success with these powders.

Hunter, StaBall 6.5, Superformance, and Power Pro 4000MR are the best. Reloader 25 & 26 are possibilities which I dabbled with while bench rest shooting at 600 with 105 and 107's.

The best all around 6mm imo would be 27 inches and something around 8.5 - 9 twist and some kind of long throat if you are going for longer the magazine type loads. It's dumb IMO to use less than 8.5 twist unless its a pure bench rest using stuff like 115's only.

I've used some of the slower Reloader powders. I think 26 is the slowest, another one and 33 were just coming out and I couldn't find any. I've been away from reloading for a few years and having to read my old books and notes. I had 1 computer shoot caps and I don't remember/know what was on it. In the past I've had good consistent velosity in 7 and 30 cal senderos with IMR 7828. I've also used 50BMG but didn't get the velosity or consisintiancy. I usually use barrels at least 26" long. This is going to be an experiment with similar specs except I'm going to try it with 6mm Rem. I've still got to work with a shorter barrel 6mm barrel first then go to the longer barrel experiment. I'll probably go with a faster twist and a little longer throat on the longer barrel. Alot depends on what I find in the 6mm shorter barrel (22"?) for a direction to go with the longer barrel. What would you term a straight bull barrel for a 6mm. I'm using 1.125" for 7mm a.nd slightly smaller for 30.
Thanks, Paul

Way back people used to quote me fantastic FPS using old generation powders. Just because some load data book listed these to me highly questionable velocities. I could never achieve some listed velocities. I always bought the best chronos and would invite them to put their rounds where their mouth is!

load data is only a rough guide to get you in the ball park. So look at the powders getting the highest FPS and purchase what you can. Modern powders are free velocity as is barrel length. So I go out and do chrono time looking at pressure and figure out the acceptable case life with the best accuracy while bench rest shooting. I also try to fill the cases with the slower per caliber powders.

I forgot to list Magpro as a good for the heavy pills in 6mm.

Last edited:
Thank you, I have some of the RL powders and I think that I bought a lb of magpro when it seemed that the slower powders were drying up back a few yrs ago. Have you used any 7828 or 50BMG in something as small as a 6mm with a 26 in tube? It's been a while since I've done any shooting let alone loading.
Thank you, Paul

1:7.5, 3 twist heavy barrel
Berger 105
H1000 / VV565 / H4895
H1000 might be a bit too slow, same with V565 that I use in my 6.5's with 140 grain bullets.

H4350 is a well used powder for 6mm CM and other 90-115 grain bullets. I run 115 bergers with 40.7 grains of H4350 at 2985 FPS. Most critters dont take a step when hit.
Have not shot a bear with that load but a blk bear should not be able to carry it at all, make sure you place your shot well.

Thank you, I have some of the RL powders and I think that I bought a lb of magpro when it seemed that the slower powders were drying up back a few yrs ago. Have you used any 7828 or 50BMG in something as small as a 6mm with a 26 in tube? It's been a while since I've done any shooting let alone loading.
Thank you, Paul
I used 7828 in my 270's when it first came out @ 1990. It's only good for the 105 - 115 in 6mm and I never got it to group the best and the velocity was down compared to these even with compressed loads.

Hunter, StaBall 6.5, Superformance, and Power Pro 4000MR are the best.

BMG 50. I wouldn't even buy that garbage unless I had a 50 or similar cannon. I used US869 in my 30-378 and 338 Lapua with the heavy VLD's

My 8 twist 243 AI (so about 2gns more H20 capacity) runs well H4831SC.

I like how it packs in with the shorter kernel size, and it's been easy to find lately. I only had to use a drop tube at max charge weights for pressure, and I don't run it there full time so it loads easily through a funnel.

108 Berger Hybrids for me on steel, I'd expect any flavor of Berger to work well though if you want to use cup-and-core. The new tipped Hammers look like a good fit for 6mm magnums, the heavier 90gn should run very similarly to 100-108gn cup and core bullets, with a BC that keeps up close enough to not make a material difference (IMO). I've pretty much changed to 100% mono for hunting bullets because of a string of positive results, the only cup-and-core I use regularly are Partitions.

7825SSC might pack in the case well, but I prefer the Hodgdon Extreme powders to IMR. Personal preference, no hard data to back it up. One of my RUMS only runs with that so I keep it around.

Thank you, Paul
7828 with heavies should be a very viable option. I've even used it in my 243 with 100 grainers, gets close to velocity potential with compressed loads, no worries about overcharging…there are better choices tho. But in a 6mm rem it might be perfect with bullets over 100 grains. H50bmg is a waste of time and components in this case size, right out!!!. Waaaaay too slow and plus the kernels are half the diameter of the blasted case neck for a 6mm 🤣. Also isn't it discontinued?

Also isn't it discontinued?
I think it was a (internet-substantiated) rumor back before the Rona. I've bought a bunch of it since that came out, so I'm guessing they're still making it. Gotta buy kegs because pounds don't even last one loading session 🤣

It fills up a 26 Nosler case easily, I can't imagine a situation where it would be the best choice in a standard bolt face short action case.