6mm loads

jdg33

I'm just getting started in the long range thing and need to switch bullets in my 6mm. It's a 700 VLS with a break and I have been shooting 55 NBT's at 4200 fps, since I rarely shot past 500 yards. I would like to start trying some longer range stuff and was thinking of trying 105 grain A max or the 87 grain V max. Twist is 1:9 so I'm a little concerned about the 105's. I can also usually get about 250 fps more out of a 85 grainish bullet than a 100 grainish (highly technical term /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)so was wondering if the 87 would be a good way to go despite the lower BC.

Thanks,
Burleyboy

Hi There! I shot out many bbls on the exact same rifle that you are shooting. I lived out West at the time and shot p. dogs and Rock chucks with my 6mm's. I too rarely shot past 500 with most of the long range shots being in the 350 yard range.

I shot the 60g Sierra on coyotes and my 60g hp on p. dogs and crows after trying a flock of different bullets of heavier weight. I later on found the Sierra 80g Single shot pistol bullet with a very heavy load of IMR 4064 to be very fast and accurate and blew up very well on everything. Sierra now makes a 80g Single shot blitz Boat tail that is a very accurate bullet and highly explosive, but gives great holes in coyotes also.

I found that the bullets in the 70g range to give the highest velocity with less copper fouling, and the 85g bullet and up really coppered my bbls up fast while making cleaning a real chore. If you wanted to go to a heavier bullet, then my first choice would be the Sierra 80g Blitz BT.

I encourage you to spend some time on a ballistic's program to educate yourself on bullet drop and wind drift...it is a real eye opener to say the least. Do not be deceived, 200 fps makes up for a lot of B.C. on a bullet, and time of flight has a lot to do with wind drift.

Also, for varmint hunting where rapid shooting is taking place, copper fouling is a killer of accuracy. The slower bullets with the longer bearing surface will copper up a bbl quicker than a faster light bullet with less bearing surface. You will have to experiment, because there is a balance between copper fouling and accuracy taking into consideration the number of rounds that you will like to fire in a string.

As a general rule of thumb, I found the custom bullets made on a J-4 jacket and Sierra bullets copper foul less than Hornady or Nosler bullets.

The Hornady 87g with poly tip is reported to be a great bullet, but the copper fouling with these long bearing surface bullets will be a bear, no doubt.

By the way, when you start running the numbers that you are shooting on the 55's, it will amaze you how well the 55's at 4000+ do on wind drift and bullet drop out to 500!

What kind of shooting are you doing?

Thanks Kieth,

I do have about 1200 75 grain V max's that I bought on a clearance a few years ago, maybe I'll try them first. I need to get a ballistics program that I can compare things out past 600. I have typically just used the drop charts from reloading manuals. Most of my varmint shooting is within 500 yards and for that the 55 grain NBT has been tough to beat. However I do see coyotes way out there sometimes and rarely do I connect with them. I'd like to increase that average.

Thanks,
Bb

I shot a coyote with a 75vmax the other day....
the work real good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Burleyboy,
The 105-107gr bullets wont work in a 1-9" twist barrel, the highest B.C.bullet you can shoot is the Berger 95gr VLD but they do tend to be finiky, the Lapua 90gr Scenar is an awesome bullet that I have shot to 1000yds. with.
B

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I may have to try the 90gr lapua, I've also been wanting to try some of the lapua 139's in my 260. I'll have to order some of each.

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of load testing and have found that the heavier bullets work much better at the longer ranges. I did a little load testing the other day to see just how varmint bullets would work at the longer ranges. I used 1 gallon Clorex bottles filled with water at 500 meters to see how the bullets would act at this range. I used 70gr TNT's, 70gr Blitzking's, and 105gr Amax's. The 70gr TNT's and Blitzking's blew up quite nicely but the 105gr Amax leveled the jugs. What a difference. I've found that the Amax's are very explosive, Just like a varmint bullet. This has to be one of Hornadys best kept secrets.

My 6mm Ackley has a 1-10" twist barrel and shoots the 70gr bullets fine but won't stableize the 105 Amax. My 243 Ackley has a 1-9" twist and does a great job of stableizing both bullet weights. I put 9 shots out of 10 into 9" at 1000 yards the other day and the wind caught me and blew the tenth shot out to 16"

Give the Hornady Amax a try. You'll get the best of both worlds. Long range and explosive.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

PS If you need some drop charts? I can e-mail them to you set up for every 50yds out to 1000yds. I just need to know the bullet and velocity. Also let me know what range you want it sighted in for. Also give me the MOA adjustments on your scope so I can give you the click adjustments. Or you can give me the load, bullet, barrel length, powder charge and I can figure it out myself. [email protected]

[ QUOTE ]
Twist is 1:9 so I'm a little concerned about the 105's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 105 Amax will stabilize in your 9" twist most definetly. Hornady changed the twist rate rating on this bullet about 2 years ago from an 8 to a 9.

But a word of caution: Measure the ogive and bearing surface length on them because they vary as much as .008"!

[ QUOTE ]
I can also usually get about 250 fps more out of a 85 grainish bullet than a 100 grainish (highly technical term )so was wondering if the 87 would be a good way to go despite the lower BC.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends how far you want to shoot. Ultimately, the higher bc bullet will always win out in the long run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.