6mm-.22Nosler - Getting there from here.

BallisticsGuy

Long story short, I have a .223 rifle (mossberg MVP) that I use in PRS and long range precision matches. I'd like to use it in high power metallic silhouette but .223rem is verboten. I could go to 6x45mm but that lacks the poop to down the heavy steel ram silhouettes reliably. My MVP is super light which is why I want to use it, so I can get into hunter class with the rifle which requires it be at or under 9lbs with optic. The MVP .223 action is quite a bit lighter than a savage 10 or remmy 700 action.

So, I'm restricted to a .223 boltface.
I want to use .22Nosler brass to get the 30grains of case capacity and the .223 bolt face and to fit in AR mags.
I want to use 6mm bullets of 105-108gn

There exists already a 6-6.8SPC which is just the 6.8 necked down. The .22nosler appears to be more or less a 6.8spc with a 30deg shoulder instead of a .28deg shoulder and with a rebated rim to fit .223 bolt faces.

As I think about it it looks like I could actually start with .22Nosler brass and fireform it in a 6-6.8 chamber. The shoulder would lengthen and slope out to 28 degrees from 30 but otherwise I think it should work. That said, I don't have sufficiently detailed or known accurate technical drawings of either case to be sure.

Anyone know for sure?

Long story short, I have a .223 rifle (mossberg MVP) that I use in PRS and long range precision matches. I'd like to use it in high power metallic silhouette but .223rem is verboten. I could go to 6x45mm but that lacks the poop to down the heavy steel ram silhouettes reliably. My MVP is super light which is why I want to use it, so I can get into hunter class with the rifle which requires it be at or under 9lbs with optic. The MVP .223 action is quite a bit lighter than a savage 10 or remmy 700 action.

So, I'm restricted to a .223 boltface.
I want to use .22Nosler brass to get the 30grains of case capacity and the .223 bolt face and to fit in AR mags.
I want to use 6mm bullets of 105-108gn

There exists already a 6-6.8SPC which is just the 6.8 necked down. The .22nosler appears to be more or less a 6.8spc with a 30deg shoulder instead of a .28deg shoulder and with a rebated rim to fit .223 bolt faces.

As I think about it it looks like I could actually start with .22Nosler brass and fireform it in a 6-6.8 chamber. The shoulder would lengthen and slope out to 28 degrees from 30 but otherwise I think it should work. That said, I don't have sufficiently detailed or known accurate technical drawings of either case to be sure.

Anyone know for sure?

It might be worth your time to check out >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/766333240175235/

You are starting to convince me that the 22-Nosler has merit.

Up to now, I didn't look at the specs, I just reviewed them. It seems a viable alternative to achieve more capacity in the 223 foot print/magazine limits.

can someone summarize the facebook thing for me. I don't have a FB account nor want to have one just for one piece of info.

Dave Kiff of PT&G has two designed for the 24 Nosler, the 22 Nosler necked up to 6 mm, one for a bolt and one for an AR. I have the one for an AR on order and look forward to shooting it.

wade

Dave Kiff of PT&G has two designed for the 24 Nosler, the 22 Nosler necked up to 6 mm, one for a bolt and one for an AR. I have the one for an AR on order and look forward to shooting it.

wade
many thanks wade! Yeah, I was aware of the reamers being made but not the difference between them. I guess I could just get a 24 cal blank and have my smith cut it up for me. Guess it's time to call PTG and get the skinny. They never answer the damned phone though. That said, they are located in one of my former home towns so I could drive up too. My favorite gunsmith isn't too far away from them.

I'm not sure that you're heading in the right direction.

The 6mm x 22 Nosler holds about 34 grains of water.
The 6x47 (6mm on the .222 Rem Mag case) holds 33 grains of water.
The 6mm AR holds 36 grains of water (needs the rim turned down...).

In my opinion, I would start with the minimum amount of energy it takes to topple the ram with a proper hit, allowing for a little room to waffle.

Then I would decide on the case, bullet and powder combination which will get you to that point or better. All of those cartridges above will yield about 1,700 ft.lbs. of energy at the muzzle and ~760 ft.lbs. at 500 yards, when you use the 95 grain bullet in order to get your powder space back from using the 105 VLDs.

I think this could use a little more analysis.

Regards.

look up the 6mm hagar, It is a 6mm-6.8spc. you can buy dies for it from hornady and use 22 nosler brass with out having to change teh bolt face

I personally would go the 243LBC/6mm Grendel. I like the short, fat case to be able to seat the bullets out of my powder space. Barrel,bolt, and mag are all that's needed for the swap. Grendel brass is very plentiful and relatively cheap from mid south shooters supply, among other places. Just my $.02

I was hoping upon receipt of the notice that there were more responses to his post that the original poster would return. But I guess Feb. 26th is too much to ask for...

Anyway, simply selecting a different cartridge will not solve the problem since they are in the same or very similar class of energy at the target. That is the problem and the question.

How much energy does it take to topple the ram? Of course, you also have to know if it has been hard set or not. How much energy does the bullet of choice transfer to the plate when fired at a given velocity?

Any of the .223 Rem. based cartridges (6mm or otherwise) will offer about 600 ft/lbs. at the target. The next suggestions will offer about 760 ft/lbs. It's doubtful that any of these will knock the ram off the base.

I'm shooting a 6mm BRX with 105 gr. bullets to achieve 2,200 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle and 1,150 ft/lbs. at the target which works just fine.

My thought is that he has painted himself into a corner which has no operable resolution. He needs a new rifle.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.