Getting into it

I was planning to talk to ATF prior to even gearing up just to cover my butt. Don't worry about that. Advice well heeded on both sides. I've already read through the FAQ on the ATF website and what my intents are do appear to boarder on manufacturing but the line is very blurry to me. Clearly I need to get more info.

From ATF for examples
  1. A company receives firearm frames from individual customers, attaches stocks and barrels and returns the firearms to the customers for the customers' personal use.
  2. The operations performed on the firearms were not for the purpose of sale or distribution. The company should be licensed as a dealer or gunsmith, not as a manufacturer of firearms.
  3. A company acquires one receiver, assembles one firearm, and sells the firearm.
    The company is not manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business and is not engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms. This company does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer.
  4. An individual acquires frames or receivers and assembles firearms for his personal use, not for sale or distribution.
    The individual is not manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution and is not required to be a licensed manufacturer.
These examples make me think I could practice under an 01 gunsmith FFL.

Going back to one of my original questions, what lathe is suited for my needs and what avenues are around for finding a used one?

The individual is not manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution and is not required to be a licensed manufacturer.
These examples make me think I could practice under an 01 gunsmith FFL.

Going back to one of my original questions, what lathe is suited for my needs and what avenues are around for finding a used one?
Like senger said, do as you wish, but if you're going to sell a couple of rifles or more, to help cover your costs, you'll need to be licensed as a manufacturer. If you are licened and buy a firearm and improve it, i.e. install new barrel, re-blue it, and then offer it "for sale", it better be a 07 Manufacturers' license. ATF won't issue a license of any any kind (except C&R) if you don't intend on making a profit. And a C&R won't allow you to do much except buy and sell C&R firearms. I know of one 01 Dealer who used to buy used Remington 700s and he'd dismantle the "not so nice" ones and sell the actions,,,,,, that is until ATFE came for an inspection. He had altered the rifles he dismantled "significantly" from the way they had left the factory........... He wasn't licensed properly to do that! As for a lathe,,,, a 13x40 that is metric capable, with a minimum 1 3/8" spindle bore,,,,, 1 1/2"bore is better, yet. What size bore does the lathe you have now have?

My lathe only has a 18 or 20mm bore, can't remember which off the top of my head.

Like senger said, do as you wish, but if you're going to sell a couple of rifles or more, to help cover your costs, you'll need to be licensed as a manufacturer. If you are licened and buy a firearm and improve it, i.e. install new barrel, re-blue it, and then offer it "for sale", it better be a 07 Manufacturers' license. ATF won't issue a license of any any kind (except C&R) if you don't intend on making a profit. And a C&R won't allow you to do much except buy and sell C&R firearms. I know of one 01 Dealer who used to buy used Remington 700s and he'd dismantle the "not so nice" ones and sell the actions,,,,,, that is until ATFE came for an inspection. He had altered the rifles he dismantled "significantly" from the way they had left the factory........... He wasn't licensed properly to do that! As for a lathe,,,, a 13x40 that is metric capable, with a minimum 1 3/8" spindle bore,,,,, 1 1/2"bore is better, yet. What size bore does the lathe you have now have?

So if you buy a new Salvage from Dicks, spin a pre-fit Pac-Nor on it, a SSS trigger and a McMillan then go do some load development and sell it as a "Custom Savage" then you would need an FFL?

So if you buy a new Salvage from Dicks, spin a pre-fit Pac-Nor on it, a SSS trigger and a McMillan then go do some load development and sell it as a "Custom Savage" then you would need an FFL?
If you do that once, NO. If you do that more than once, as "a regular course of trade" for profit you should be licensed as a 'manufacturer'. Of course, lots of folks "fly under the radar". But, when the hammer falls............. And in the current political climate, nothing would surprize me! (with his 'phone' all he's needed to do is all Eric. ATFE is a division of the Justice Dept.) According to the ATF investigator I spoke with a couple of months ago, they are "making a presents" more than ever before and increasing their "man power". That means hiring more ATF personel. And keeping a closer 'eye' on the "under the radar" internet & gunshow stuff. I personally know of a couple of arrests/charges filed for sales to "prohibited persons" by unlicensed "dealers" at gunshows. Don't forget ITAR with that Manufactures license. You could have problems with the State Dept., too!

If you do that once, NO. If you do that more than once, as "a regular course of trade" for profit you should be licensed as a 'manufacturer'. Of course, lots of folks "fly under the radar". But, when the hammer falls............. And in the current political climate, nothing would surprize me! (with his 'phone' all he's needed to do is all Eric. ATFE is a division of the Justice Dept.) According to the ATF investigator I spoke with a couple of months ago, they are "making a presents" more than ever before and increasing their "man power". That means hiring more ATF personel. And keeping a closer 'eye' on the "under the radar" internet & gunshow stuff. I personally know of a couple of arrests/charges filed for sales to "prohibited persons" by unlicensed "dealers" at gunshows. Don't forget ITAR with that Manufactures license. You could have problems with the State Dept., too!

More then once in what time frame? I believe the OP said less then a dozen over 15 years... :rolleyes:

Like I said earlier, no profits will be made. Let the Federales prove you made a profit. Until then, have fun on the lathe. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.