670 yard Mule Deer - 165gr Matrix VLD 270 WSM

kessingm

I'm new to the site, but I have spent a lot of time here on LongRangeHunting.com reading the forums. It was a thread here that turned me on to Matrix Bullets, which offers a 165gr VLD for the 270.

I just took my first shot on a game animal on October 14, 2013. I was shooting a Tikka T3 270 WSM with the 165gr Matrix VLD. You can judge the results for yourself gun)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUo7xSbirvs]Long Range Mule Deer Hunt - 670 Yard Shot - 270 WSM - YouTube[/ame]

Great shot, did you loose 10 pounds packing him out!! That is some rough country!! Not real familiar with Idaho. Guessing that is in western, central to slightly northern?

My son shoots the 270WSM, great round. We've been plinking whitetails with 130gr SST less than 400 yards. What powder you using pushing that 165?

And congrats on the hunt.

Thank you. And yes, the pack out was horrible! Rough night. We didn't get back to the truck until 9:30 pm, and we were spent! It was either straight up or straight down all the way there and back.

I am in north central Idaho. In fact, I was hunting whitetail on the side of the canyon that I shot from. I saw 10 whitetail and 12 mule deer that day.

I am using Retumbo powder. My gun seems to like it the best as far as accuracy and consistent velocity. I also tried a number of other powders but liked Retumbo the best.

It is a clamp on muzzle brake - no alteration to the gun. I wasn't willing to have a brake put on, so I ordered a clamp on brake, for I think $89. It is made by Witt Machine -- maybe there are others that make a clamp on brake too. It is the only brake I have used, but it definitely reduces recoil and barrel rise. It has made spotting shots a lot easier for me.

Thank you, I am looking forward to get one as well for my sako 300 wsm. Did you have to send over barrel dimensions or do they do a standar one for lightweight Tikkas/Sakos?

I have been loading the Matrix too long for the magazine, but then about 10 days ago I shot half of my shots loaded for my magazine and the other half loaded closer to the lands. I did not see enough of a difference in performance to justify having a single shot rifle. So now I am loading with a COAL of 2.893, which fits in the magazine.

I am a little late to this thread, but I too wanted to say good shooting. I am getting ready to try the 165 matrix and the 150 bergers. I already shoot 140 bergers to 1/2 moa in this gun, so I may stay there if I can't get the others to shoot well. I'm from Kamiah and it looks like your up out of Lewiston somewhere from the video. Am I close? Anyways, great job.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.