600y gun

col48

what do you think is the best rifle out to 600y
what barrel contour, caliber, weight bullet,make of barrel,action type,single shot.stock.
basically what would you build as your ultimate out to 600y rifle,and cash was no problem.

red fox & crow size varmints
i am just interested in seeing what people see as there ultimate varmint round.and rifle set up.

Just about anything in 6mm would be an excellent choice. There are just far too many choices to list and I wouldn't limit myself to 600 yds. Why not get a fast twist 6mm then you can shoot out to 1000 + yds as well as the 5-600 yd stuff?????

you might look into a 6br fast twist. shoot the 105gr bullets about 2850fps and be accurate out to 1000yds or a little more.

low recoil and long bbl life

steve

i have just sold one.but it was a 1 in 10 twist.nesika k action,Krieger bbl jewel trig and MC Milan stock.

what i am asking is what would you lot build
IE blue print a action or would you use a nesika,or bat.you know the full speck.

to be honest with ya i would have taken the rig you just sold and rebarreled it in some kinda fast twist 6mm.

i have a 243 AI nesika & a 270 wsm nesika
i am just wondering what other people would build,
IE type of action and all the rest.

6.5 or 7mm WSM (maybe both) and have at least one extra barrel built at the onset, 27" .900 muzzle barrel.

I'd get a Spencer of Rock barrel (only because I've had good luch with them... don't know about others too much). In the 6.5 I'd shoot the 142 SMK and don't know what in the 7mm.

Action... I like the Remington but would probably use a 40X single shot over the 700 repeater.

I like the H-S Precision PSS type or M24 type but also like the McMillan HTG.

Badger rings and bases.

Schmidt & Bender scope (don't have one yet) but so long as I'm spending someone else's money.

600 yards is not a real test to a quality built rifle. While you will NEVER go wrong with a quality custom receiver, I would not say it is needed in any way for this type of shooting or this range of shooting.

A Rem 700 accurized properly will make 600 yard shots a breeze as will many other factory receivers if machined properly.

Again, there is no fault in using a custom receiver, just do not think this is the only way to get consistant hits at 600 yards. That simply is not the trueth.

Personally, if I were building a rifle for myself to cover your exact needs, I would look at something in the 6mm to 6.5mm class of bore and as far as case capacity I would start at the 6 BR or 6-250 in the 6mm and probably start at the 260 Rem in the 6.5mm.

There is really no need to get a big case capacity with this range limit in mind. As such, on the top end I would limit the 6mm to a 243 AI case capacity or less and the 6.5mm to the 284 case capacity or less.

Both would have fast twists, both would shoot the VLD or ULD bullets and I would load them to the 2800 to 3000 fps range for best performance with this type of match bullets.

Rifle weight would be a personal choice, me I would like a 12 lb rifle or so. Still packable but plenty stable for 600 yard shots, which still is a good poke out there!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Col48, as ussual, I agree with Fiftydriver.

Any good shooting Remington M700, (either accurized, or if you are lucky, in semi-stock condition) will carry you to 600 yards.

I personally have kilt hundreds of crows and buzzard size criters with a slightly modified M700 Sendero in .300 WM. I shoot the 200 gr SMK ahead of 69.4 grs of RE 22 in the WM. It is deadly to 1000 yds on crows and such. I like the 30 caliber for wind abilities on smallish targets like crows at these ranges. On contact... it is like a death ray hits em!

I am in the process of building a 6.5 x 284 to get the same ballistics as the 30 caliber... with a bit more joy at the shooter's end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

v/r

Not all stock barrels like the full loading, he could be like me. I load for peak accuracy, wherever in the speed spectrum it may lie.

For me it is the 22 dasher. Excellent very stable laupa brass. Very accurate little recoil and great ballistics. You can shoot a 80 grain a-max at 3400 fps with 36.0 grains of powder or the 100 grain rbbt at 3000 fps. Put a brake on the rifle and watch your own shots. If your dead set on 6mm make a 6 dasher. 6 dasher dies are made by forster. The dasher is hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.