600-800 yd Optics for 300 WIN

Starting to dabble in the +500 range hunting arena for mainly ELK. I have recently purchased a LAW Professional in 300 WIN. Havn't shot that yet. After all the reviews I have read I hope I have at least an MOA rifle? I want to end up with a lightweight, durable & reliable rifle that I can count on to make those shots from 600-800. Any recommendations on scopes? I am looking at 3.5x10 or 4x12 power with side focus and probably a fine duplex reticle. I am leaning towards either a Leupold VX6 or one of the Nightforce Hunting scopes. Plan on using Talley mounts Budget around $1k
Give the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 a hard look. Excellent glass and features low enough magnification on bottom for up close and personal encounters and enough on the top end to shoot at twice the range you are talking about.

Wild Rose is giving you good advice. The vx-6 has very good glass. I have one each in the 44mm and52mm I have used the past year and they are excellent hunting scopes. Just bought a third one to replace a vx-3 on my pack rifle. The one thing I would add is get the tmoa reticle for holding windage or drop, when time is of essence.

Honestly a BDC style system can be made to work pretty well to 750 or so and is a lot simpler to use than any dialing or extended reticle system. I have whacked stuff out to 800 with the Nikon BDC and its a lot simpler than dialing or a MOA or mil system. Get past 800 and its a whole nother ball game.
However I bet there is more game missed under 600 due to an overly complicated system than is missed past 600 due to a less complicated system.
Once again, go PAST 800 and its all a different critter.
Emphasis mine.

Somehow I doubt that there's anything to substantiate that statement.

Wild Rose is giving you good advice. The vx-6 has very good glass. I have one each in the 44mm and52mm I have used the past year and they are excellent hunting scopes. Just bought a third one to replace a vx-3 on my pack rifle. The one thing I would add is get the tmoa reticle for holding windage or drop, when time is of essence.
I have both the TMOA and B&C reticles and I really prefer the B&C particularly in low light.

I was watching some pigs and deer tonight for a good 30 minutes after what would have been legal shooting hours for deer season through the 3-18x50 which reminded me it was worth every penny.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.