600-800 yd Optics for 300 WIN

mtguns4u

Starting to dabble in the +500 range hunting arena for mainly ELK. I have recently purchased a LAW Professional in 300 WIN. Havn't shot that yet. After all the reviews I have read I hope I have at least an MOA rifle? I want to end up with a lightweight, durable & reliable rifle that I can count on to make those shots from 600-800. Any recommendations on scopes? I am looking at 3.5x10 or 4x12 power with side focus and probably a fine duplex reticle. I am leaning towards either a Leupold VX6 or one of the Nightforce Hunting scopes. Plan on using Talley mounts Budget around $1k

Cabelas is still running a sale on the VX6 2-12 with Zero Lock. $699, its a great deal in my opinion.

Capped turrets, Nightforce SHV
Exposed turrets, SWFA 3-15 SS

Yep! +1

I just got my second SWFA SS scope a few weeks ago, and I got the 3-15x42 Mil-Quad DM reticle scope for my 6.5 Grendel. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but I love the reticle, and the glass quality looking through it. First one I got was back in 2014, I got a SS 20x42 Mil-Quad, and it's been a great target scope for range work. For $299, you can't go wrong. But for the 3-15x42 MQDM scope that I just got, $599 is a great deal.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-2.html

Here's an article showing how to use the DM reticle for hunting game.

New SWFA SS Scopes - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 1

Curious, does the vx6 have the side parllex adjustment (2-12 power). Agree with above sugestions on the nightforce shv. No experience with the swfa scopes but do see a lot of positive comments on them. One scope I feel is a fairly good scope that gets passed by lots of the time is the sightron siii. Good luck with your decision and have fun. Let us know how the rifle shoots.

Honestly a BDC style system can be made to work pretty well to 750 or so and is a lot simpler to use than any dialing or extended reticle system. I have whacked stuff out to 800 with the Nikon BDC and its a lot simpler than dialing or a MOA or mil system. Get past 800 and its a whole nother ball game.
However I bet there is more game missed under 600 due to an overly complicated system than is missed past 600 due to a less complicated system.
Once again, go PAST 800 and its all a different critter.

Checkout Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP (70 MOA total elevation), my buddy got his for just over $600 after sale and rebate from OpticsPlanet. Pair it with Burris XTR sig rings with offsets for up to 40 MOA for $100 and you're golden.

Curious, does the vx6 have the side parllex adjustment (2-12 power). Agree with above sugestions on the nightforce shv. No experience with the swfa scopes but do see a lot of positive comments on them. One scope I feel is a fairly good scope that gets passed by lots of the time is the sightron siii. Good luck with your decision and have fun. Let us know how the rifle shoots.

I have the SWFA 5-20x50 SS HD and they are awesome; lots of scope for the money. I like it better than the SHV.

The SIII has slightly better glass than the SWFA 3-15 but not as good as the HD series no matter the scope. SWFA turrets track true. I purchased the 3-15x42 MOA sfp 140MOA elevation and it tracks like a train. I will be replacing all of my nikon hunting glass with this scope. I may purchase the 5-20 to replace a 24x Weaver I use for club shooting.
I can't comment on the shv however it seems that the cost cutting was in features not mechanicals. Ie; zero stop and limited reticles. The reticles to me are the one's I'd pick and if zero stop is a must you can make a shim set for most scopes anyway.
For my money though I get everything I want in the swfa at a better price.

The SIII has slightly better glass than the SWFA 3-15 but not as good as the HD series no matter the scope. SWFA turrets track true. I purchased the 3-15x42 MOA sfp 140MOA elevation and it tracks like a train. I will be replacing all of my nikon hunting glass with this scope. I may purchase the 5-20 to replace a 24x Weaver I use for club shooting.
I can't comment on the shv however it seems that the cost cutting was in features not mechanicals. Ie; zero stop and limited reticles. The reticles to me are the one's I'd pick and if zero stop is a must you can make a shim set for most scopes anyway.
For my money though I get everything I want in the swfa at a better price.

Yep!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.