Effectiveness of 300-600 yd shots

Qrachel

I'm settled on a 7mm RM for a custom build because I can. I'm doing this to open up my my lethal range to 5-6 hundred yards. I've read several blogs now raising the ethical issue issue of shooting long.

I'm definitely good to 250-300 yards (essentially point blank range with my '06. I'm pretty sure with 200+ rounds of practice I could get to MOA at 500 yards in prone and sitting positions. If it takes 500 rounds then I'm fine with that too, even 700 rounds - beyond that I'd have to assume I'm not cut out for lr shooting.

Almost all the admonitions about long range shooting I've read feel a bit preachy to me. You guys that do this a lot must have come across this. I'm not looking for anything other your time tested experience.

I get that if it's really windy I've got to be somewhere <300 yards in most cases. Other than that and having a good rest to shoot from and lots of practice am I missing something here?

An old gal learning new tricks,

Rachel

Long range differs for different people.

Opening up your max effective distance to 5 - 600 yards is long range to you but not to me.

Go here for some good information. You B the one who has to make the decision on whether to take the shot or not.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...nother-tool-complete-hunters-tool-box-143429/

I watched the bearded round wonder take two shots at an eland that never should have been taken. He was rushing it in the last moments of a hunt. Clean misses were declared the next day while he was on the plane. Quite dismaying and revealing.

Dear Roy: Thanks for the link . . . solid advice, just what I was looking for. Love the MER concept.

R

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.