6 mm SLR or what in 6 mm

mulerider

I'm putting together components for a new SA build and would like thoughts on those who have gone before.
Currently have B&C Tactical Medalist stock, Remington 700 SA, Bartlein 7.7 twist, varmint contour.
Before chambering would like any opinions if a 6XC or other chambering might be a better option and why.
Primarily this rifle will be used for long range target use, running 105 grain and up to 115.

6XC or 6 creedmore just because of stamped brass availability.

6XC is on my future project list, make a great yote gun

6XC or 6 creedmore just because of stamped brass availability.

6XC is on my future project list, make a great yote gun
6XC is a 6mm-250 Improved right? That would be cool. Really hard to ignore the 6mm Creedmore in this application.

6XC is a 6mm-250 Improved right? That would be cool. Really hard to ignore the 6mm Creedmore in this application.
Agree on the head stamp, just have lot's of 243 brass, save cost. Correct on resizing brass or I believe Norma offers now, also.
Will need to keep marked boxes of SLR ONLY.
Simple resizing the brass is attractive for me.

I have a 6 SLR, while it is a fun round, I do not see the point of running this over a 6XC, 6 creedmoor, or plain ol' 243. The forming of brass doesn't bother me, its the fact that I had to go through and buy expensive dies and hunt down Winchester brand brass.

just not worth the hassle to me if I could do it over.

Unless your running a real long barrel I have found this SLR case really shines with 105's. I'm running mine right at 2940 w/H1000. while this isn't a hot load, it shoots great.

You'll read about guys getting 3100 FPS with their 6 creed & 6 SLR's running 115 bullets.....I just don't see it, I cannot get there in a 27 inch rock creek barrel, and I had the barrel throated for the 115 Dtac. I'm lucky to run 2900 FPS in a good solid low SD/ES load.

6 Ackley is my vote. I love mine. Depending on what you want to run for coal you might have to get a longer magazine (wyatts). headstamp doesn't mean much for me as I don't plan on traveling in a manner that requires it to be properly headstamped. I really like the long neck on it too. This would allow you to push the bullet in the neck farther and not take powder space and possibly a shorter coal than you would expect.

I've been shooting the 6mm Competition Match since February'07. I know that's not one of the choices. I also shoot a straight .243. I realize these are not one of your choices so, I like the 6SLR. I don't mind the expense of the die, also whatever brass I may choose. I've shot Lapua in my Comp Match and Winchester, either works just as well for accuracy. The 6XC and the 6Creedmoor are both excellent cartridges, but prefer the 6SLR over them for a choice. All of them will run 105-115 fast depending on the powder you use, not to mention the barrel life difference.

Don Dunlap

I've been shooting the 6mm Competition Match since February'07. I know that's not one of the choices. I also shoot a straight .243. I realize these are not one of your choices so, I like the 6SLR. I don't mind the expense of the die, also whatever brass I may choose. I've shot Lapua in my Comp Match and Winchester, either works just as well for accuracy. The 6XC and the 6Creedmoor are both excellent cartridges, but prefer the 6SLR over them for a choice. All of them will run 105-115 fast depending on the powder you use, not to mention the barrel life difference.

Don Dunlap
I thank all that have shared their insight, much appreciated. I'm have found many more threads on 6 mm,
Seems to be a lot of choices for the 6 mm caliber.

Take COAL into account if you're running a short action and you want to feed it from the magazine. I've had a 6mm Remington Ackley Improved in the past and I wouldn't do it again, it's too long to work in a short action with 100+ grain bullets.

I have a .243 right now and with the 105 amax it feeds well and shoots fantastic. The creedmoor and the xc would work well too, they are shorter than the .308 based cases.

There are so many good choices for 6mm rounds and so many good choices for high BC bullets, I don't see any good reason to run the "improved cartridges". To me it's a waste of time and money.

Barrel life on these rounds aren't super long so why waste your barrel fire forming brass? What are you really gaining with the extra velocity? A few clicks on your elevation turret? I would pick a straight 243, 6 Creedmoor or 6 xc and go shoot.

I shoot the 6mm/250AI and like it, but it's also not perfect. Neck length is a little short like the .243. Cases are very easy to form, as you simply neck up 22-250 brass to 6mm, and fire form. Case shrinkage will come in at about .035". Forming them out of .243 brass is a little more work, but shrinkage is about .015". Next time around, I'm going to modify the die for a longer neck length. Then use standard .243 brass trimmed to two inches. This will increase the neck length close to .100", and should seriously increase throat life.
The 6/250AI will push a 105 grain AMX to 3000+ fps, and use less powder than the .243. If I don't do this one again, I'll build a 6mm BG.
gary

Shooting .243 ackley myself. 3180fps with 115 DTAC's and 5fps SD's with RL-23. I get identical velocities and SD's with an identical charge weight under 108 ELD-M's. Soft shooting. Easiest gun I've ever had for getting accurate loads made.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.