6 mm Rem. Loads??

it surprises me all the time to see just how popular the 257 bob is up here in the UP. Half the guys here hunt with rem autoloaders in 06 or 270 but theres a good group that really know guns and use some cool stuff.

I first hunted up there in 1992 or maybe it was 1993 (remember going up there is a huge snow storm). Nobody had ever seen a .257 or heard of the round. The 30-06 auto loader was like the the standard issued weapon up there. Guys laughed at me and told me I'd best be a good tracker as they figured I'd be doing a lot of walking. The first deer I shoot weighed a little over 300lb. and took a step and a half. Dead when he hit the ground. The second was a little smaller, and he actually took two or three steps (was about a hundred yards out). I used a Sierra 117 grain bullet on the first one, and a 100 grain Nosler BT on the second one. Looking back a plain jane .250 Savage would have work quite well! There were eight of us hunting on about 1200 acers, and I setup right next door to the Meade Paper tree farm. In the evenings the old man I hunted with and I would setup on the picnic table out on his patio, and pop coyotes feeding on gut piles till we go tired of doing that. He used an 06 auto, and asked me to let him try the little gun. His son (a close friend of mine) bought him one for Christmass as he fell in love with it. Told Harry that the next year I was going to bring a 6mm and maybe a lever gun. Showed up the next year with a 6mm varmit rig and a .444 along with the same .257. Shot one deer with the .444 at about 125 yards and another big buck at around 220 yards with the .257. But the fun was watching Harry dust coyotes at ranges he never dreamed of with the big six (we probably shot twenty dogs that weekend). When I left he told me he had to get a 6mm.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.