7 mm STW Loads

Got some good news and bad news regarding the accubond in the 140. Good news is a shot a 176 3/8 mulie through the boiler room made mush out of his lungs at 280 yds. Bad news is I shot a whitetail at 315 right behind the shoulder and the bullet blew up never entering the chest cavity. The buck ran by me and at 150 yds while running straight away tried a texas heart shot and hit the left rear end and he flopped. Unfortunately i had to shoot him again in the neck. When i examined the second shot in his rear was amazed to find the bullet never even made it to the bone and the bone was completely intact. I think i will reserve the accubonds for antelope and that is about it. thinking bout going back to good ol fashioned Nosler partitions or Swift A-Frames. I have also heard good things about the barnes TSX. The accubonds shoot great but what good is it if they dont hold up. It was pretty frustrating. Any suggestions

I get outstanding accuracy from my Savage Tactical 7STW with 78 gr IMR 7828 140 ballistic tip at about 3300 fps from a 24" barrel (wanted an STW and it wasn't factory chambered at that time in a lefty, rechambered 7mag). Consistently well under .5 moa.
I have yet to kill a deer with this load, but I shot a small coyote at 362 yds quartering towards right in the sternum and the bullet never exited. That kind of bothered me as to the potential performance on deer at that range. I tried RL22 and didn't quite get the tight groups. Haven't tried any other powders but 7828 seems like a perfect match for this round with 140-150 gr bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.